|| "Even miracles take a little time."
To prevent speculation, please add reliable sources to the unreleased media. Any information that is not backed up by citations may be removed.
Thank you and have a magical day!
"The Little Mermaid" is an upcoming 2023 American live-action film which will be distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. It is a remake of the 1989 Walt Disney Animation Studios feature film of the same name, and loosely based on the fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen. Lin-Manuel Miranda and Marc Platt will produce the film. In addition to supervising the story, Miranda will be teaming up with composer Alan Menken to re-work songs from the original and the two will also be composing new songs for the film. The film is scheduled to be released on May 26, 2023.
A young mermaid makes a deal with a sea witch: trading her beautiful voice to get human legs so she can discover the world above water.
- Halle Bailey as Ariel
- Jonah Hauer-King as Prince Eric
- Jacob Tremblay as Flounder
- Daveed Diggs as Sebastian
- Awkwafina as Scuttle
- Javier Bardem as King Triton
- Melissa McCarthy as Ursula
- Jude Akuwudike as Grimsby
- Noma Dumezweni as Carlotta
In addition to the cast above the film also includes Jessica Alexander, Russell Balogh, Adrian Christopher, Emily Coates and Simone Ashley who have been cast in undisclosed roles.
Differences from the 1989 film
- Scuttle is a female diving bird instead of a male seagull.
- Perla and Karina are new characters that appear in the remake.
- Queen Athena appears in the remake.
- She did previously appear in the prequel of the original film The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning.
- In this film, her relationship with Ariel is explored further.
- This is the fourth collaboration between Rob Marshall and Disney after Marshall previously directed Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Into the Woods, and Mary Poppins Returns.
- According to Lin-Manuel Miranda during an interview on BBC's The One Show, all of the songs from the original 1989 animated film will still be part of the live-action adaptation.
- This is the sixth Disney Princess remake, after Maleficent, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Mulan.
- This is also the fifth movie from the Disney Renaissance to be remade.
- This will be Melissa McCarthy's first role for a Disney film since she played the Sky King waitress in The Kid.
- Due to Pinocchio and Peter Pan & Wendy being switched to Disney+ releases, this is the first exclusive theatrically-released remake of a Disney Animated Canon movie since Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil.
- "Disney's live-action The Little Mermaid casts Halle Bailey as Ariel". Entertainment Weekly (July 3, 2019).
- "Everything you need to know about The Little Mermaid's Prince Eric, Jonah Hauer-King (yes, he can sing)". Entertainment Weekly (November 12, 2019).
- "Awkwafina, Jacob Tremblay Join ‘The Little Mermaid’ Live-Action Adaptation". Variety (July 1, 2019).
- "Live-Action Little Mermaid Makes a Major Change to Ursula's Backstory". CBR. Retrieved on March 16, 2021.
- "The Little Mermaid cast: These stars in talks for the Disney remake-who will be in it?". Express.co.uk (July 3, 2019).
- "Upcoming Disney Live-Action Remakes/Adaptations - (thedisinsider.com)".