After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Galactic Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.
The series begins proper with the introduction of the Mandalorian, an enigmatic bounty hunter who is considered one of the best. After accepting a mysterious job from an unnamed client, the Mandalorian is hit with a moral dilemma when he learns that his bounty is a small defenseless infant. Now on the run, the Mandalorian must do everything he can to protect the Child even when he discovers that it itself hides a secret.
The second season has the Mandalorian and the Child (revealed to be named Grogu) continue the search for more Jedi. They make further enemies in the wild untamed outer reaches of space and meet other warrior allies, such as Bo-Katan Kryze, Ahsoka Tano, and Boba Fett.
- Main article: The Mandalorian episode list
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||8||November 12, 2019||December 27, 2019|
|2||8||October 30, 2020||December 18, 2020|
- Pedro Pascal as Din Djarin/The Mandalorian
- Gina Carano as Cara Dune
- Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon
- Carl Weathers as Greef Karga
- Emily Swallow as The Armorer
- Omid Abtahi as Dr. Pershing
- Nick Nolte as Kuiil
- Werner Herzog as The Client
- Taika Waititi as IG-11
- Bill Burr as Migs Mayfeld
- Mark Boone Junior as Ranzar Malk
- Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand
- Jake Cannavale as Toro Calican
- Natalia Tena as Xi'an
- Clancy Brown as Burg
- Richard Ayoade as Q9-0
- Ismael Cruz Cordova as Qin
- Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett
- Katee Sackhoff as Bo-Katan Kryze
- Timothy Olyphant as Cobb Vanth
- Sasha Banks as Koska Reeves
- Mark Hamill as EV-9D9 (uncredited) and Luke Skywalker
- Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano
The series was announced by Disney CEO Robert Iger during a Disney quarterly earnings call on November 9, 2017. On May 10, 2018, Jon Favreau revealed during an interview with Anthony Carboni that he was halfway done with writing a season for the coming television series. Favreau confirmed with Dan Casey of Nerdist that the show would take place seven years after the Battle of Yavin and feature all-new characters. However, the series would instead end up being set nine years after the Battle of Yavin.
On August 6, 2018, The New York Times reported on Disney+ and stated that the Star Wars television series by Favreau would be expected to cost around $100 million for ten episodes. In an email to The New York Times, Favreau stated that Disney's new streaming service would allow for the opportunity to tell stories that go for several chapters.
The series was written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It was executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist served as a co-executive producer.
The second season marks the live-action debuts of several characters who had previously only appeared in animated or print form, including Ahsoka Tano, Cobb Vanth, and Bo-Katan Kryze. It is also notable for reviving Boba Fett, revealing that he survived the events of Return of the Jedi.
Following numerous insensitive comments made on social media, Lucasfilm announced in February 2021, that Gina Carano will no longer be involved with the series and her character will most likely be retired.
At Disney's investor day 2020 meeting, several new Star Wars Disney+ series were announced. Among these were two spinoffs of The Mandalorian, titled Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic. These two series will be limited and will crossover with The Mandalorian.
At the end of the season 2 finale, a scene featuring Boba Fett and Fennec Shand revealed that Fett will also receive a spinoff series, titled The Book of Boba Fett.
- The general premise of the series is loosely inspired by the manga series Lone Wolf and Cub by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima.
- "The Mandalorian First Image, Directors Revealed". Star Wars.com. Retrieved on October 5, 2018.
- "The Mandalorian: Full cast of new Star Wars TV show includes Werner Herzog and Carl Weathers". Independent. Retrieved on December 13, 2018.
- "SWCC 2019: SEE NEW PHOTOS FROM THE MANDALORIAN". StarWars.com. Retrieved on April 14, 2019.
- "Live From the Red Carpet of Solo: A Star Wars Story!". YouTube. Retrieved on August 8, 2018.
- "Exclusive Details on Jon Favreau's STAR WARS TV Series". nerdlist. Retrieved on May 11, 2018.
- "Disney's Streaming Service Starts to Come Into Focus". New York Times. Retrieved on August 6, 2018.
- Gina Carano No Longer Part of The Mandalorian Or Any Spinoffs