The show was performed daily and featured the Muppets presenting abridged accounts of notable milestones in American history, primarily from the Colonial era. The majority of the show unfolded from the second-story windows of the Heritage House, adjacent to the Hall of Presidents attraction. The show premiered on October 2, 2016. It ended its run at the Magic Kingdom on October 5, 2019, though was brought back for occasional limited seasonal engagements for the 2019 Christmas season and President's Day weekend in 2020.
The Muppets were physically performed live in the show by the park's in-house puppeteers in synchronization to a pre-recorded dialogue track. The Muppets Studio and Muppet performers Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, and Dave Goelz provided consultation, as well as recording the voices for their respective characters.
Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, and Sam Eagle were featured in the show. A live actor portrayed James "J.J." Jefferson, the town crier who engaged the audience in the "Declaration of Independence" sketch.
Each show performance featured one of the following sketches:
- Declaration of Independence — Sam and J.J. narrated the events that unfolded during the 1776 Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia, and the eventual drafting of the United States Declaration of Independence. The historical figures included here were Thomas Jefferson (portrayed by Kermit), John Adams (portrayed by Gonzo), and Benjamin Franklin (portrayed by Fozzie). Miss Piggy portrayed the dual gender role reversal of George Washington and King George III.
- Midnight Ride of Paul Revere — Sam retold Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, "Paul Revere's Ride", depicting the subject of Paul Revere's (portrayed by Kermit) historical "Midnight Ride".
- Steve Whitmire as Kermit the Frog
- Eric Jacobson as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Sam the Eagle
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo
- "Disney World's Next Trick: Muppets", The Motley Fool (October 2, 2016). Retrieved on October 13, 2016.
- "‘The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History’ Opens at Magic Kingdom Park". Disney Parks Blog (October 8, 2016). Retrieved on October 13, 2016.
- "The Muppets Make History at Magic Kingdom Park". Disney D23 (October 3, 2016). Retrieved on October 8, 2016.
- "Disney: Muppets show coming to Magic Kingdom", Orlando Sentinel (July 28, 2016). Retrieved on July 28, 2016.
- "The Muppets Are Coming to Walt Disney World Resort This Fall in an All-New Show", Disney Parks Blog (July 28, 2016). Retrieved on July 28, 2016.
- "Disney to debut 'The Muppets Present ... Great Moments in American History'", Orlando Sentinel (September 29, 2016). Retrieved on October 13, 2016.
- "First look: Disney's new Muppet show makes history", Orlando Sentinel (October 4, 2016). Retrieved on October 13, 2016.