|| "Even miracles take a little time."
This article features media from Walt Disney Company or its subsidiaries that has yet to be released.
To prevent speculation, please add reliable sources to the unreleased media. Any information that is not backed up by citations may be removed.
Thank you and have a magical day!
The New Mutants is an upcoming American superhero horror film. It is based on the Marvel Comics team of the same name. It is scheduled to be produced by 20th Century Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It's the final installment in the X-Men Cinematic Universe, following Dark Phoenix, but taking place after the events of Deadpool 2.
Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves.
- Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin / Magik
- Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie / Cannonball
- Alice Braga as Cecilia Reyes
- Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar / Mirage
- Henry Zaga as Roberto da Costa / Sunspot
In May 2015, 20th Century Fox announced Josh Boone would direct a film adaptation of the New Mutants. Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg would be producing the film, while Boone and Knate Lee were set to write the script. In August 2015, Boone shared an image of the script which he was writing along with Gwaltney and was "not done yet." In October 2015, Boone had finished the first draft of the script for the film with Knate Gwaltney. In August 2016, it was reported that Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber would write the script with the films line up to include Mirage, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Cannonball and Magik. In November 2016, Coming Soon.net reports that Demon Bear would be an antagonist in the film, the site also revealed that 20th Century Fox is currently targeting a Spring 2018 release date, the film's tone is describing as a "Stephen King meets John Hughes-style horror movie".
Principal photography began on July 10, 2017, in Boston, under the working title Growing Pains. Peter Deming served as cinematographer for the film. Filming ended on September 16, 2017.
The New Mutants is set to be released in the United States on April 3, 2020. It was originally going to be released on April 13, 2018. However, the film was delayed to February 22, 2019, before being postponed again to August 2, 2019, to accommodate for extensive reshoots to make the film more frightening.
In March 2019, The Hollywood Reporter indicated that the film may not be released per its previous schedule, and could instead be released on Disney+ following the acquisition of Fox by Disney. At CinemaCon 2019, Walt Disney Studios confirmed that the film will keep its theatrical release. However, on May 7, 2019, Disney pushed the film back to April 2020, as part of a change to their release schedule.
In March 2020, it was announced that the film would be delayed yet again to an unknown date due to the ongoing pandemic of Coronavirus.
In May 14, 2020, Disney has announced it new release date through 20th Century Studios social media post on August 28, 2020.
- This is the final installment in the X-Men Cinematic Universe.
- This is the last movie that Stan Lee produced before his death.
- This is the first appearance of Sunspot in the New Timeline, after being introduced in the Old Timeline in X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- This movie introduces magic to the X-Men Cinematic Universe, as Magik's mutant power is sorcery, and the Demon Bear is a magical being.
- Josh Boone revealed that the film was originally supposed to take place in the 80's. However, following the critical and commercial failure of X-Men: Apocalypse, he was told to simply set the film in modern day. Boone did not mind as the setting took place in an isolated area and also because it slightly allowed more freedom.
- The film was originally going to feature a post-credits scene that would have revealed Jon Hamm as Mister Sinister. When reshoots were planned, the studio demanded a new post-credits scene be made that would have featured Antonio Banderas as Emmanuel da Costa. Boone never got around to filming the new post-credits scene due to the Disney-Fox merger happening at the time. The film will no longer have a post-credits scene.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/20thcentury/status/1260617362048536576
- ↑ Fox Mints 'The New Mutants' X-Men Spinoff; 'The Fault In Our Stars' Helmer Josh Boone To Direct
- ↑ New Mutants' Director Shares Screenplay Progress of 'X-Men' Spinoff
- ↑ The first draft of New Mutants is COMPLETE @Kinberg @KnateLee
- ↑ Fault in Our Stars' Writers Tackling 'X-Men' Spinoff 'New Mutants' (Exclusive)
- ↑ EXCLUSIVE: An Animatic from the New Mutants Movie Lands Online!
- ↑ Freeman, Molly (April 3, 2019). "Disney Confirms Entire 2019 Slate - Including New Mutants Movie". Retrieved on April 3, 2019.
- ↑ "Disney announces dates for new Star Wars movies, MCU Phase 4, and more" (May 7, 2019).
- ↑ "So Here’s Why ‘The New Mutants’ No Longer Takes Place in the 80s" (February 4, 2020). Retrieved on March 2, 2020.
- ↑ "New Mutants Cut A Post-Credits Scene Due To Disney-Fox Deal" (March 11, 2020).