The New Mutants is an American superhero horror film. It is based on the Marvel Comics team of the same name. It is produced by 20th Century Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the final installment in the X-Men Cinematic Universe, following Dark Phoenix, but taking place after the events of Deadpool 2.
Dani Moonstar escapes the destruction of her reservation and loses her father in the process. She is knocked unconscious and awakens in an abandoned hospital run by Dr. Cecilia Reyes. Dani is introduced to four other young teenagers; Sam Guthrie, who can propel through the air, Illyana Rasputin, who can conjure magic and travel between another dimension called "limbo", Roberto da Costa, who can ignite in flame and Rahne Sinclair who has lycanthropy. Reyes has each of them there after they have all suffered a tragedy; Sam brought a whole mine on his father and coworkers, Roberto burned his girlfriend, Rahne escaped her religiously strict village who branded her and Illyana was haunted by her past in child slavery as well as otherworldly beings called the Smile Men. Reyes has them stay at the facility as she herself as the power to create force fields.
Collectively, the New Mutants believe that they are being trained to join the X-Men, hence the strict supervision, as well as Reyes reminding them that they are considered dangerous and should not leave until they are under control. Dani immediately befriends Rahne and eventually the two of them form a romantic relationship while Illyana continues to antagonize Dani. When Dani fights back, Illyana seeks comfort in her hand puppet of a purple dragon named Lockheed. Soon, Dani's new friends all begin to have horrifying visions of their past, one of which results in Rahne getting branded in her neck. Illyana deduces that the visions are the result of Dani's powers manifesting; she has the ability to create illusions based on a person's psyche.
Reyes consults her employers who turn out to be Essex Corporation and instruct her to kill Dani. As Reyes takes Dani away, Rahne immediately suspects that something is wrong. Illyana and Sam are attacked by the Smile Men while Roberto tries to break through the barrier which has shrunken down. Dani uses her powers to learn of Reyes' true intent, but Rahne arrives in time and severely injures Reyes, forcing her to flee. The New Mutants regroup and realize that in order to escape, they have to kill Reyes. They find her and she reveals that she was training them to be killers for Essex, but that Dani must die due to her dangerous Mutant abilities. Before she can however, the Demon Bear, who had been following Dani this whole time and was the true reason her reservation was destroyed, arrives and devours Reyes.
Illyana summons her powers to jump between limbo and recruits a real life version of Lockheed to take on Demon Bear. Eventually, Sam and Roberto join the fight, overcoming their insecurities in the process. Rahne tries to reach through to an unconscious Dani until she herself battles the Demon Bear. Dani is visited by her father's spirit who encourages her to face her fear. Dani awakens and confronts Demon Bear; calming it into submission and allowing it to rest. As day breaks, the New Mutants learn that the force field is down and head out together to face the unknown.
- Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar
- Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane
- Chuck as Rahne's Wolf Form
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin / Magik
- Colbi Gannett as Young Illyana Rasputin
- Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie / Cannonball
- Henry Zaga as Roberto da Costa / Sunspot
- Alice Braga as Cecilia Reyes
- Adam Beach as William Lonestar
- Thomas Kee as Thomas Guthrie
- Happy Anderson as Reverend Craig Sinclair
- Dustin Ceithamer as Smiling Man
- Marilyn Manson as Voice of Smiling Man
- Jacinto "Spiritwolf" Vega as Frozen Cheyenne
In May 2015, 20th Century Fox announced Josh Boone would direct a film adaptation of the New Mutants. Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg would be producing the film, while Boone and Knate Lee were set to write the script. In August 2015, Boone shared an image of the script which he was writing along with Gwaltney and was "not done yet." In October 2015, Boone had finished the first draft of the script for the film with Knate Gwaltney. In August 2016, it was reported that Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber would write the script with the films line up to include Mirage, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Cannonball and Magik. In November 2016, Coming Soon.net reports that Demon Bear would be an antagonist in the film, the site also revealed that 20th Century Fox is currently targeting a Spring 2018 release date, the film's tone is describing as a "Stephen King meets John Hughes-style horror movie".
Principal photography began on July 10, 2017, in Boston, under the working title Growing Pains. Peter Deming served as cinematographer for the film. Filming ended on September 16, 2017.
The New Mutants is set to be released in the United States on August 28, 2020. It was originally going to be released on April 13, 2018. However, the film was delayed to February 22, 2019, before being postponed again to August 2, 2019, to accommodate for extensive reshoots to make the film more frightening.
In March 2019, The Hollywood Reporter indicated that the film may not be released per its previous schedule, and could instead be released on Disney+ following the acquisition of Fox by Disney. At CinemaCon 2019, Walt Disney Studios confirmed that the film will keep its theatrical release. However, on May 7, 2019, Disney pushed the film back to April 2020, as part of a change to their release schedule.
In March 2020, it was announced that the film would be delayed yet again to an unknown date due to the ongoing pandemic of Coronavirus.
In May 14, 2020, Disney has announced its new release date through 20th Century Studios social media post on August 28, 2020.
- With this movie being released in limited theaters, this is the first Disney movie overall to be released in theaters since Onward, and the first live action Disney movie to be released in theaters since Wendy.
- This is the final installment in the X-Men Cinematic Universe.
- This is the last movie that Stan Lee produced before his death.
- This is the first appearance of Sunspot in the New Timeline, after being introduced in the Old Timeline in X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- This movie introduces magic to the X-Men Cinematic Universe, as Magik's mutant power is sorcery, and the Demon Bear is a magical being.
- Josh Boone revealed that the film was originally supposed to take place in the 80's. However, following the critical and commercial failure of X-Men: Apocalypse, he was told to simply set the film in modern day. Boone did not mind as the setting took place in an isolated area and also because it slightly allowed more freedom. This means the movie takes place after the events of Deadpool 2 and before the "good future" scenes of X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- The film was originally going to feature a post-credits scene that would have revealed Jon Hamm as Mister Sinister. When reshoots were planned, the studio demanded a new post-credits scene be made that would have featured Antonio Banderas as Emmanuel da Costa. Boone never got around to filming the new post-credits scene due to the Disney-Fox merger happening at the time. The film doesn't have a post-credits scene.
- According to Josh Boone, the character of Warlock was supposed to appear, played by Sacha Baron Cohen. He was cut due to budgetary constraints.
- New Mutants co-creator, Bob McLeod, was highly critical of the film. He disliked how the characters were portrayed, specifically Sunspot who he felt was a victim of whitewashing and was further angered at how his name was misspelled in the credits as "Bob MacLeod".
- Fox Mints 'The New Mutants' X-Men Spinoff; 'The Fault In Our Stars' Helmer Josh Boone To Direct
- New Mutants' Director Shares Screenplay Progress of 'X-Men' Spinoff
- The first draft of New Mutants is COMPLETE @Kinberg @KnateLee
- Fault in Our Stars' Writers Tackling 'X-Men' Spinoff 'New Mutants' (Exclusive)
- EXCLUSIVE: An Animatic from the New Mutants Movie Lands Online!
- Freeman, Molly (April 3, 2019). "Disney Confirms Entire 2019 Slate - Including New Mutants Movie". Retrieved on April 3, 2019.
- "Disney announces dates for new Star Wars movies, MCU Phase 4, and more" (May 7, 2019).
- "So Here’s Why ‘The New Mutants’ No Longer Takes Place in the 80s" (February 4, 2020). Retrieved on March 2, 2020.
- "New Mutants Cut A Post-Credits Scene Due To Disney-Fox Deal" (March 11, 2020).
- THE NEW MUTANTS Almost Starred Sacha Baron Cohen as Warlock