"The New Normal" is the forty-first episode of Amphibia, and the first episode of season three.
Anne and the Plantars get transported to Earth and try to adjust to a wild new environment.
Anne and the Plantars find themselves in the middle of traffic on the streets of Los Angeles. Scared, they immediately run to safety and take in their surroundings. Anne decides that they need to head back to her place as she had been gone for five months and her parents are worried sick. Not wanting to freak them out, Anne has the Plantars hide so that she can ease her parents into telling them everything; however, she decides to keep King Andrias' invasion, Sasha and Marcy's betrayal, and her Calamity powers a secret until they feel trustworthy enough of her. Unsurprisingly, Mr. and Mrs. Boonchuy are happy to see their daughter return after so long. However, the moment is ruined when the Plantars, misinterpreting a bird cawing as Anne's signal, reveal themselves, shocking the Boonchuys.
Anne puts together a presentation explaining what she has been doing all this time, while the Boonchuys are amazed that she went through so much, they are unsure about wanting to keep the Plantars with them. Scared that someone will take them and do something terrible to them, Anne insists that they stay and the Boonchuys finally agree. Meanwhile, in Amphibia, King Andrias is keeping Marcy alive in a suspension tank and orders a silver drone to go to Earth and kill Anne as she is in the way of his plans. Additionally, he asks it to pick up a copy of a book series that Marcy got him into, much to the drone's confusion. As it arrives, it uses its cloaking device to stay hidden.
The Boonchuys continue to pamper Anne and she has finally had enough. She demands that she be given space, yet also wants to go to the market so that she can show the Plantars around. The Boonchuys are shocked as Anne never liked going to the market, but Hop Pop explains that Anne has significantly matured and that he trusts her. Anne disguises the Plantars as they head to market and see the food that it has to offer including the pungent durians and the delicious noodles. Sprig spots the drone as it nearly chokes Anne, but they manage to distract it and run. Not wanting to alert her parents, Anne and the Plantars pretend like nothing is amiss.
Anne and the Plantars fight the drone and realize that it too is trying to remain discreet and trick it into running into a freezer. The Plantars freeze and the drone attempts to attack them. Enraged by this, Anne unleashes her blue gem power and destroys a chunk of the robot who flees. Upon escaping the freezer, Anne collapses and the Plantars use a durian to wake her. The Boonchuys, none the wiser, commend Anne for being mature as she and the Plantars remain quiet about the incident. Anne decides that she does not want to use her powers as it severely weakens her. Elsewhere, the drone is recuperating and decides to double down on its efforts to kill Anne.
- Brenda Song as Anne Boonchuy
- Justin Felbinger as Sprig Plantar
- Bill Farmer as Hop Pop Plantar
- Amanda Leighton as Polly Plantar
- Brian Sounalath as Mr. Boonchuy
- On Braly as Mrs. Boonchuy
- Keith David as King Andrias
- Anne and her mother's reunion is similar to Della Duck and Scrooge McDuck's reunion in the DuckTales episode "Nothing Can Stop Della Duck!".
- A sneak peek of the episode was shown during the San Diego Comic-Con 2021.
- After Anne explains everything to her parents (aside from the events of "True Colors"), her father refers to Amphibia as "Amphibiland", which was both its and the series' name in the original pilot.
- It is revealed to have been five months since the events of "Anne or Beast?".
- In the background, a blimp that says Good Day, is a reference to the blimp Good Year.
- This episode aired the day after Disney Channel and Disney Junior close down (Southeast Asia) on October 1, 2021.
- One of the magnets in the market is a duck with a hat and bow tie, referencing Donald Duck, while the red color in the hat and the bow tie are a nod to Donald's nephew, Huey.
- During the Montage Sprig is reading a book called Monday Cat a Nod to the Comic Strip Character Garfield.
- This episode reveals the season 3 outro. It gives Anime-like vibes, which features Anne and the Planters in an anime sequence.
- This is the fifth episode to not play the theme song.
- Anne's bedroom has a poster resembling this popular Kpop boy band BTS.
- Despite returning to Earth, Anne doesn't give her mother the butterfly pin she won in "Hopping Mall".
- This episode was not put up on all digital platforms until October 7, 2021, almost a week after its original airdate.
- As part of Asian heritage the show made importance in showcasing Asian cuisines:
- Noodles- East Asian food.
- Durian- Native fruit to Asia.
- The title also has a double meaning in real life:
- The New normal is also a term how society lives during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Anne mentions about King Andrias, Marcy and Sasha’ betrayals which is different things:
- King Andrias reveals himself as an evil tyrant and wants to conquer Earth and the other worlds.
- Marcy is revealed to have tricked Anne and Sasha to go with her to another world behind their backs and showed lack of empathy by taking Anne and Sasha away from their families and their life back home.
- Sasha, Grime and the toad army tried to take over Newtopia and Amphibia (this was the second time Sasha betrayed Anne’s trust).