The Old Mill is a 1937 Silly Symphony cartoon produced by Walt Disney, directed by Wilfred Jackson, scored by Leigh Harline, and released to theaters by RKO Radio Pictures on November 5, 1937. It depicts the natural community of animals populating an abandoned windmill in the country and how they deal with a violent thunderstorm that nearly destroys their habitat.
Like many of the later Silly Symphonies, the short was a testing-ground for advanced animation techniques. Marking the first use of Disney's multiplane camera, the short also incorporates realistic depictions of animal behavior, complex lighting and color effects, depictions of rain, wind, lightning, ripples, splashes, reflections, three-dimensional rotation of detailed objects, and the use of timing to produce specific dramatic and emotional effects. All of the lessons learned from making it would subsequently be incorporated into Disney's feature-length animated films, especially Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
The short won the 1937 Academy Award for Best Short Subjects: Cartoons. In 1994, it was voted #14 of the 50 Greatest Cartoons of all time by members of the animation field. It is ranked at the IMDb top short list as the 17th greatest short film ever.
The short starts off near an old windmill with many animals living within it. As night sets in, several frogs, grasshoppers and fireflies sing a tone until a sudden storm. Strong winds begin to blow at the windmill making in spin slightly due to a rope lodged in the gear. A mother bird fearing for the life of her eggs stay with her nest as the rope breaks and the windmill spins. The mother is saved from be crushed by the gear due to her nesting spot being line with a broken knot in the gear. As the storm grows the wind strike the windmill causing it to fall apart until a lightning strike hit a blade on the mill which caused it to lean. After the storm the animals emerge from their shelters.
- Clarence Nash - Frogs
- Disneyland, episode #2.6: "The Story of the Silly Symphony"
- The New Mickey Mouse Club, episode C-001, January 17, 1977
- A Disney Halloween
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.1: "Award Winners"
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.29: "Goin' Outside With the Silly Symphonies"
- Walt Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies
- Bambi: Platinum Edition
- Bambi: Diamond Edition
- Walt Disney's Fables: Volume 2
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition
- Bambi: Diamond Edition
- Bambi: Anniversary Signature Edition
- One of the projector transition levels in Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is based on this short.