Separated from their team, Coulson and Mack discover a shocking secret about Mace, leaving all of S.H.I.E.L.D. in a precarious position.
Mace holds a press conference for Johnson, celebrating her "undercover" actions, until a sniper attempts to assassinate him. Coulson and Mack escort Mace and PR agent Burrows—who is often seen near Mace with a mysterious briefcase—to a Quinjet, but it explodes mid-flight. Burrows is flung from the plane with the briefcase and the others crash land in a forest. There, they find ex-H.Y.D.R.A. agents, hired by the Watchdogs, who have recovered Burrows' body. In the ensuing fight, Mace tries to get a serum from the briefcase, but it is destroyed and he is injured. Mace explains that he is not an Inhuman and that he was given his abilities by a super-serum from the government to create a trustworthy, enhanced leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. After their rescue by Johnson and the May LMD, Coulson tells Mace to continue as "the Patriot", the face and political leader of S.H.I.E.L.D, while Coulson takes back command of operations. The May LMD discovers her robotic skeleton from a wound and Fitz secretly begins studying AIDA's decapitated head.
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May/Melinda May (Life-Model Decoy)
- Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson/Quake
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Henry Simmons as Alphonso Mackenzie
- John Hannah as Holden Radcliffe
- Jason O'Mara as Director Jeffrey Mace
- Mallory Jansen as AIDA
- Adrian Pasdar as Brigadier General Glenn Talbot
- Max Osinski as Agent Davis
- Patrick Cavanaugh as Agent Burrows
- Troy Caylak as Yuri Zaikin
- Kimberley Drummond as Agent Crawford
- Shelly Robertson as Michelle Caldwell
- Alastair Bayardo as Agent McCafferty
- The episode's title is a reference to Jeffrey Mace's superhero name in the Marvel Comics.