The Wonderful World of Disney: The Little Mermaid Live! is a television special that will air live on ABC, on November 5, 2019, in celebration of the 30th anniversary of The Little Mermaid. Hamish Hamilton will direct and also serve as an executive producer. The production is being described as a "hybrid format" that will include intricate sets and costumes, along with music from the original 1989 film and the 2008 Broadway stage version. It will be a blend of puppetry, animation, and live-action elements.
- Auli'i Cravalho is the second woman of color to play Ariel, the first being JoAnna Garcia in Once Upon a Time and, the third, Halle Bailey in the live-action film.
- This is the second time Auli'i Cravalho plays a Disney princess, she's the voice of Moana. Coincidentally, both Moana and Ariel are related to the sea and have their films directed by Ron Clements and John Musker.
- Shaggy performed a laidback cover of Under the Sea for the film's 10th anniversary soundtrack, back in 1999.
- Queen Latifah portrayed Ursula in Annie Leibovitz's Disney Dream Portrait Series.
- She has always been the public's most popular choice to play the character in the live-action film.