FANDOM


  • Do you think Nick Wilde and Judy Hopps should be a couple in the sequel?
     
    1397
     
    172
     
    28
     

    The poll was created at 00:39 on March 9, 2016, and so far 1597 people voted.
      Loading editor
    • Is there going to be a sequel? I know it may not be confirmed, but I am a little curious. Both of the Directors seem to only do one hit wonders, which is kind of how I'd like to keep it. Unless they can do what Kung Fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon did and make the sequels better than the original, then I don't want a sequel to ruin something that already has a good reputation. As per them being a couple? No idea. If it works for the story, go for it, if it doesn't, don't. Honestly, I think it would be cool if they stretched the possibility of a relationship out over a long period of time. It makes it better and more heartwarming. Or perhaps they shouldn't be a couple at all. Just depends on the story in all honesty. I just wonder what they could do with the second one to match the original story, jokes, ideas, and themes of this movie? Besides, of course, making sure the characters developed and are ready to move on to other lessons, something which a ton of animated sequels (besides the aforementioned films) tend to do.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not sure if there will be a sequel (it seems like they're going back to the TV sequel routes though), and I don't think they'd do it based on the fact that it's too bizarre of a dynamic to have two police officers on the same force also be in a relationship. It seems like a "choose one or the other" type deal.

      In the end, I do like them as a couple anyways and I'll always ship them, though.

        Loading editor
    • Nah.

        Loading editor
    • I think this poll is kinda useless. The directors practically confirmed in that interview that there will be a romance between them.



      The only thing I thought prevented the romance between them was the fact that they are animals of different species. But when they said interspecies couples exist in Zootopia and society accepts it, it is already confirmed the romance.



      One of the phrase uttered by Byron Howard: "This is an very open minded world, and animals fall in love all the team, so yeah, I think so, who are we to judge anyways" to me, is an implied message to the anti-shippers. Something that could be understood like this:



      So Judy and Nick can not be a couple? The Zootopia animals are like us humans. They fall in love. Romance is not a cliché, it's something natural. Just accept the facts. Who are you to judge it?



      In fact he's right. I think the anti-shippers don't say to your friend who will going to a date with someone, something like "No! He/She can not be your boyfriend/girlfriend! It's too cliché! Just be friends after that.



      I think the only people who don't want them to become a couple are those who says romance is cliché or interspecies couple are weird (Curious because this movie talks about prejudice)

        Loading editor
    • I would love to agree with João, but I feel like there is more standing in the way of a relationship than just the Fox-Rabbit thing. Now, I am definitely in support of a romantic relationship between them 100%! But, I fear that it may never happen.

      I would say one of the biggest obstacles is that they end up as work partners at the end of the movie. You know, I was actually left very confused after the movie. I left thinking that they were one step away from being together, and that it would most likely be left up to either our imaginations, or a future installment to take that final step. I mean even one of the final lines in the film was "You know you love me" "Do I love you? Yes, yes I do" I figured that was a nod to them being more than just friend. Seemed a little more than friendly to me. But, many, many people claim that there wasn't a even hint of anything other than friendship between them, and that it's just a shippers fantasy. *Shrugs*

      Time will tell, but as it stand now, I would rather they give their pairing a thumbs up, or leave it unmentioned and for us to decide. Because making a series or a sequal that puts them with other animals is not only going to break this shippers heart, but possibly upset half the fanbase.

      I was born a shipper (My first ship was at age 4) And I will die a shipper! I....I just don't want shipping to be the cause of death. That.... that would be bad.

        Loading editor
    • It's different from their previous films. It has much more potential in it. And from tweets and statements it's preety obvious that there would be a sequel as well as development of relationship between Nick and Judy, either Romantic (YAY!!!) or platonic (... more shipping fuel.YAY!!!) as stated by Byron Howard. Besides they're constantly teasing the idea either on Tweeter or in the interviews (funnies or boxes?)

        Loading editor
    • What is it with people and sex?

        Loading editor
    • Elephant777 wrote:
      What is it with people and sex?

      What is it with people and assuming romantic relationships have to involve or talk about sex? You have a pretty shallow understanding of how romance works, bro.

        Loading editor
    • Reimeille wrote:
      Elephant777 wrote:
      What is it with people and sex?
      What is it with people and assuming romantic relationships have to involve or talk about sex? You have a pretty shallow understanding of how romance works, bro.

      What I meant to overall say is what is it with people with romance period!!!

        Loading editor
    • Elephant777 wrote:
      Reimeille wrote:
      Elephant777 wrote:
      What is it with people and sex?
      What is it with people and assuming romantic relationships have to involve or talk about sex? You have a pretty shallow understanding of how romance works, bro.
      What I meant to overall say is what is it with people with romance period!!!

      Romance is a fundamental part of the human experience, as part of social interraction. It's normal for people to want to apply that to their fiction. It's the same reason why the characters in Zootopia have "eyebrows" in their fur -- even when making fictional stories about animals, people naturally (even subconsciously) try to draw comparisons to humankind.

      I agree, it can become tiring, but it's not like its random and without explanation.

        Loading editor
    • Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergent, Game of Thrones, even my personal favorite Lucatan Bowkata are saturated with romance.

      Now I am not against a good romantic story if done right, but if you read stories like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Project Nemesis, or The Lost World.  Romance plays a background of a background within a background role in other words a very, very, very insegnificant role that is only applied to spure the character forward.

      I've had this argument in the RWBY wiki.  

      I just think that when you delve into the romance card it is just more trouble than it is worth when you have a good story.  Or in zootopia's case an okay story

        Loading editor
    • Nick and Judy are meant to be! ^^

        Loading editor
    • In my time on the internet, there has been a question that's bothered me for a long time. Why is it that people care so much about the relationships between tow fictional characters. As this movie, and many others, show, it doesn't even have to be a human relationship. Just curious to hear what you guys have to say on that. Also, did the directors confirm the possibility of there being a sequel. I again would like to state that the creators of the film are famous for making films that are one hit wonders and just leaving them be. (Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, and Big Hero Six should get sequels before Zootopia will) While there may be shorts and other such materials, has there been any news about the possibility of a sequel? Where would they even go with a sequel? I really hope they don't run the route of doing a terrible sequel. If there is anything that kung Fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon has taught us, is that sequels should not try to replicate the first film. they should be the next step in the character's 'adventure' per say. The characters should have also devolved and learned fro their past mistakes.

        Loading editor
    • @Darkseidkillsall01 From what I hear, Stan Lee said that Big Hero 6 has sequal plans, but they haven't started working on it yet. BUT, Big Hero 6 is going be be given it's own TV series, so that will be interesting. Wreck is Ralph already signed on Ralphs voice actor for a sequal, but that's as much as I know. And Frozen has been confirmed to have a sequel in the works. Zootopia is their biggest hit yet, and people are already asking for another, so while it may take awhile, I have little doubt that we will get more in the future. Even the cast and crew of the film want more, and from what I recently read, they are all shipping Judy and Nick as much as the fans are. As Destroyer696 said, they even joked/halfjoked about their offspring being "Boxes and Funnys. Which would be weird, but freaking adorable. At this point I feel like the only thing standing in the way of them officially making them a couple, is a change in Director/Producer/Writer, or a close minded Disney higher up giving it the thumbs down. If that happens however, I will be on of many in the angry mob knocking down their door.

      As far as running a plot dry? I don't think any of the last four Disney movies have to worry about that. As much as I loved Tangled, I can totally see why they don't want to do anything more with it. It ended, and it ended well. But Frozen, Ralph, Hero, and Zootopia? These movies didn't really end in a way that made me feel like that was ALL we could and shoul get. I feel like their worlds are so vast that it's going to be hard for them to run out of ideas or go the wrong way.

        Loading editor
    • Do interspecies romances exist in the world of Zootopia? The only two couples we see prominently featured in the film (Judy's parents and the Ottertons (do we ever see Fru Fru's groom?)) are both same-species, but according to some of the prior discussion here, the directors have stated that such relationships do in fact exist, although that leads to all sorts of questions about such things as whether they are able to produce children.

      Do I want to see Nick and Judy as a couple? As buddies and partners, of course I do, but as a romantic couple, I'm not so sure. The brief exchange where they say they love each other comes off a lot like if Bud Abbott or Lou Costello said to the other, "I love ya, buddy". One of the things I like about Zootopia is that Judy may be the first female lead of marriageable age in a Disney film for whom romance doesn't even enter into the story. I'm not opposed to them changing that in any sequels, if they can pull it off well, but I'm a little worried that Disney might ruin it by falling back on tried-and-true cliches that really don't fit the characters and setting.

        Loading editor
    • Mwalimu wrote:
      Do interspecies romances exist in the world of Zootopia? The only two couples we see prominently featured in the film (Judy's parents and the Ottertons (do we ever see Fru Fru's groom?)) are both same-species, but according to some of the prior discussion here, the directors have stated that such relationships do in fact exist, although that leads to all sorts of questions about such things as whether they are able to produce children.

      Do I want to see Nick and Judy as a couple? As buddies and partners, of course I do, but as a romantic couple, I'm not so sure. The brief exchange where they say they love each other comes off a lot like if Bud Abbott or Lou Costello said to the other, "I love ya, buddy". One of the things I like about Zootopia is that Judy may be the first female lead of marriageable age in a Disney film for whom romance doesn't even enter into the story. I'm not opposed to them changing that in any sequels, if they can pull it off well, but I'm a little worried that Disney might ruin it by falling back on tried-and-true cliches that really don't fit the characters and setting.

      My God! After that huge text that I did a while back showing why people who say romance is cliché are wrong, there are still people who talk about it?

      Oh, and could better explain the very last sentence. Romance does not fit the characters and the story?

        Loading editor
    • I agree 100%. Which is why I hope to send my new ship out onto open waters. Judy x Chief Bogo. Nick x Flash. What do you guys think? My ship is going to go far. *Zootopia fanbase aims cannons at ships* No! You can't do this! I just left port!


      Okay, but in all honesty. I think it would be funny if the directors looked at who the fans were shipping and just secretly messed with us throughout the entire movie.

        Loading editor
    • There was in fact an interview where some of the people who worked on Zootopia confirmed that interspecies relationships could work in the universe and could even have kids. They even suggested names for bunny/fox hybrids, such as "funnie". I can provide the link to the interview if anyone wants it.

      Me personally, I like them both as a romantic couple and as just friends and partners. Either scenario is perfectly and equally believable and adorable in my opinion. 

        Loading editor
    • CrazytheEndfan1111 wrote:
      There was in fact an interview where some of the people who worked on Zootopia confirmed that interspecies relationships could work in the universe and could even have kids. They even suggested names for bunny/fox hybrids, such as "funnie". I can provide the link to the interview if anyone wants it.

      Me personally, I like them both as a romantic couple and as just friends and partners. Either scenario is perfectly and equally believable and adorable in my opinion. 

      Link please?

        Loading editor
    • João Kléber wrote:
      CrazytheEndfan1111 wrote:
      There was in fact an interview where some of the people who worked on Zootopia confirmed that interspecies relationships could work in the universe and could even have kids. They even suggested names for bunny/fox hybrids, such as "funnie". I can provide the link to the interview if anyone wants it.

      Me personally, I like them both as a romantic couple and as just friends and partners. Either scenario is perfectly and equally believable and adorable in my opinion. 

      Link please?

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDisIKoGLQM&index=44&list=PLvRD5PrARUUzarzLwWEYhS1L_38SNlj0s

      Here you go!

      (They start talking about interspecies relationships around 2:24)

        Loading editor
    • I'm personally not for the shipping. I'm not strongly against, but I prefer to think of them as friends. I'm not even really sure why though. It's not because I'm at all auncomfortable with the idea of an interspecies relation, in fact I feel that there is something romantic in the idea of people being so suited for each other that they overcomes bounderies such as species, or maybe just becasue it works well enough for them to do it that way. (That is assuming a world like Zootopia, where there are different species who are on equal ground regarding relevant aspects such as cognition and whatever other criteria might be reasonable, don't marry your dog or something.)

      Nor do I think they'd make a bad couple, they're both cute and likable, they work off each other well, and it's not unreasoanble that they'd admire each other after what they've been through. There is a bit of age difference between them, with Nick being the better part of a decade older than her, but it doesn't seem like that'd actually be a problem, the only real problem I can nitpick is that they work together, so a relationship is not ideal.

      I think the reason may simply be that I'm tired of the cliche of romance. Or something, I'm not quite sure why I feel this way, it's fully possible tha tI may change my mind. But for now, I feel happy that the movie didn't seem to really imply that they hooked up, though I suppose it's nice that it was ambigious enough that the shippers could have their fun too.

        Loading editor
    • Lazy Skeptic wrote:
      I'm personally not for the shipping. I'm not strongly against, but I prefer to think of them as friends. I'm not even really sure why though. It's not because I'm at all auncomfortable with the idea of an interspecies relation, in fact I feel that there is something romantic in the idea of people being so suited for each other that they overcomes bounderies such as species, or maybe just becasue it works well enough for them to do it that way. (That is assuming a world like Zootopia, where there are different species who are on equal ground regarding relevant aspects such as cognition and whatever other criteria might be reasonable, don't marry your dog or something.)

      Nor do I think they'd make a bad couple, they're both cute and likable, they work off each other well, and it's not unreasoanble that they'd admire each other after what they've been through. There is a bit of age difference between them, with Nick being the better part of a decade older than her, but it doesn't seem like that'd actually be a problem, the only real problem I can nitpick is that they work together, so a relationship is not ideal.

      I think the reason may simply be that I'm tired of the cliche of romance. Or something, I'm not quite sure why I feel this way, it's fully possible tha tI may change my mind. But for now, I feel happy that the movie didn't seem to really imply that they hooked up, though I suppose it's nice that it was ambigious enough that the shippers could have their fun too.

      Hello Lazy Skeptic!

      OK! I respect your opinion, but I have two questions to ask about your comment.

      You are not required to respond, but I really wanted you to answer!

      The first question is: You said you're tired of the clichéd romance.

      So you say to a friend who will going to date someone, something like this: No! He/She can not be your boyfriend/girlfriend! Just stay friends after this date!

      I'm not saying your argument is bad. You can answer yes or no and if you want, you can justify your answer.

      Now the second question: You said two people working together can have no romantic relationship. The same can be applied to Zootopia animals.

      Could you explain better how a romantic relationship will affect Nick and Judy? In terms of Nick and Judy's behavior when they are working, what is the difference between the current platonic relationship between them and a possible romantic relationship in the sequel?

        Loading editor
    • Annie Frank wrote:

      Hello Lazy Skeptic!

      OK! I respect your opinion, but I have two questions to ask about your comment.

      You are not required to respond, but I really wanted you to answer!

      The first question is: You said you're tired of the clichéd romance.

      So you say to a friend who will going to date someone, something like this: No! He/She can not be your boyfriend/girlfriend! Just stay friends after this date!

      I'm not saying your argument is bad. You can answer yes or no and if you want, you can justify your answer.

      Now the second question: You said two people working together can have no romantic relationship. The same can be applied to Zootopia animals.

      Could you explain better how a romantic relationship will affect Nick and Judy? In terms of Nick and Judy's behavior when they are working, what is the difference between the current platonic relationship between them and a possible romantic relationship in the sequel?


      Well, when I'm saying that I feel as if I might be tired of the cliche of romance, that's not to mean I'd walk up to them holding hands and tell them to knock it off or something, we're talking about what we as fan would prefer to see/not see happen to their relationship as fictional characters, who live largely in our imagination. The same way that most shippers wouldn't - if they could - walk up to Nick and Judy and demand they hooked up if they hadn't. Or maybe the shipper would do that, they can be pretty zealous.

      Regarding mixing romantic and professional relationships, that's not just something I'm saying, it is generally seen as unprofessional, getting you feelings into your work and co-workers to an extent that leads to you possibly being compromized in your efficiency or willingness to follow orders, etc. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it may not be ideal and may be looked down upon.

      As for me sufficiently justifying my opinion on this, my comment was largely about how I admitted I really couldn't, becasue I'm not really sure as to quite why I'm not shipping the couple. This seems to indicate that I have more thinking to do on the matter, I might reach a point where I'll either be able to substantiate this opinion, or when I come around and be ok with it, but not yet it seems.

        Loading editor
    • If Nick and Judy where to hook up, Nick better pray that Judy isn't as fertile as her mother. (I think it has been mentioned that interspecies reproduction isn't impossible in this world, so Nick would have to be carefull not to end up with a dussin children, I doubt he'd want that.)

        Loading editor
    • Lazy Skeptic wrote:
      Annie Frank wrote:
      Hello Lazy Skeptic!

      OK! I respect your opinion, but I have two questions to ask about your comment.

      You are not required to respond, but I really wanted you to answer!

      The first question is: You said you're tired of the clichéd romance.

      So you say to a friend who will going to date someone, something like this: No! He/She can not be your boyfriend/girlfriend! Just stay friends after this date!

      I'm not saying your argument is bad. You can answer yes or no and if you want, you can justify your answer.

      Now the second question: You said two people working together can have no romantic relationship. The same can be applied to Zootopia animals.

      Could you explain better how a romantic relationship will affect Nick and Judy? In terms of Nick and Judy's behavior when they are working, what is the difference between the current platonic relationship between them and a possible romantic relationship in the sequel?


      Well, when I'm saying that I feel as if I might be tired of the cliche of romance, that's not to mean I'd walk up to them holding hands and tell them to knock it off or something, we're talking about what we as fan would prefer to see/not see happen to their relationship as fictional characters, who live largely in our imagination. The same way that most shippers wouldn't - if they could - walk up to Nick and Judy and demand they hooked up if they hadn't. Or maybe the shipper would do that, they can be pretty zealous.

      Regarding mixing romantic and professional relationships, that's not just something I'm saying, it is generally seen as unprofessional, getting you feelings into your work and co-workers to an extent that leads to you possibly being compromized in your efficiency or willingness to follow orders, etc. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it may not be ideal and may be looked down upon.

      As for me sufficiently justifying my opinion on this, my comment was largely about how I admitted I really couldn't, becasue I'm not really sure as to quite why I'm not shipping the couple. This seems to indicate that I have more thinking to do on the matter, I might reach a point where I'll either be able to substantiate this opinion, or when I come around and be ok with it, but not yet it seems.

      Ok! Thanks!

        Loading editor
    • I have talked about this elsewhere,but it would be for the best if their relationship stayed platonic.



      It would just open up the floodgates to too many tropes and besides, police departments IRL have rules and regulations about officers fraternizing.

        Loading editor
    • Moldavite.soul wrote:
      I have talked about this elsewhere,but it would be for the best if their relationship stayed platonic.

      It would just open up the floodgates to too many tropes and besides, police departments IRL have rules and regulations about officers fraternizing.

      Agreed. I think they'd be cute as a couple and everything, but they're cute as friends too, and it'd feel more refreshing for them to just be that.

        Loading editor
    • Annie Frank wrote:
      Lazy Skeptic wrote:
      Annie Frank wrote:
      Hello Lazy Skeptic!

      OK! I respect your opinion, but I have two questions to ask about your comment.

      You are not required to respond, but I really wanted you to answer!

      The first question is: You said you're tired of the clichéd romance.

      So you say to a friend who will going to date someone, something like this: No! He/She can not be your boyfriend/girlfriend! Just stay friends after this date!

      I'm not saying your argument is bad. You can answer yes or no and if you want, you can justify your answer.

      Now the second question: You said two people working together can have no romantic relationship. The same can be applied to Zootopia animals.

      Could you explain better how a romantic relationship will affect Nick and Judy? In terms of Nick and Judy's behavior when they are working, what is the difference between the current platonic relationship between them and a possible romantic relationship in the sequel?


      Well, when I'm saying that I feel as if I might be tired of the cliche of romance, that's not to mean I'd walk up to them holding hands and tell them to knock it off or something, we're talking about what we as fan would prefer to see/not see happen to their relationship as fictional characters, who live largely in our imagination. The same way that most shippers wouldn't - if they could - walk up to Nick and Judy and demand they hooked up if they hadn't. Or maybe the shipper would do that, they can be pretty zealous.

      Regarding mixing romantic and professional relationships, that's not just something I'm saying, it is generally seen as unprofessional, getting you feelings into your work and co-workers to an extent that leads to you possibly being compromized in your efficiency or willingness to follow orders, etc. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it may not be ideal and may be looked down upon.

      As for me sufficiently justifying my opinion on this, my comment was largely about how I admitted I really couldn't, becasue I'm not really sure as to quite why I'm not shipping the couple. This seems to indicate that I have more thinking to do on the matter, I might reach a point where I'll either be able to substantiate this opinion, or when I come around and be ok with it, but not yet it seems.

      Ok! Thanks!

      Giant wall of text inbound!

      I've gone back and forth a littel regarding my preference on the shipping as I considered the idea, but I find myself still being slightly opposed to it, and I now think I've better figured out why this is.

      To some degree it's the things I've allready mentioned, a romance would be too cliche (it's more refreshing for them just to be friends), there is an age gap (not that I think that that means they shouldn't hook up, obviously if someone wants to, they should, even if there is an age gap, but the gap still makes it slightly less romantic to me, and this is all about me arguing for which prospect I would find most appealing regarding fictional characters), they're colleagues (which could make a relationship less than ideal and looked down upon, if not prohibited by ZPD official policy), but it's also because I feel it'd limit the relation they allreayd have.

      Nick and Judy have good chemistry, they work off each other great, and I kinda feel that them getting too close to each other would restrict that, becasue they couldn't really be expected to be as sharp towards one another. I kinda feel as if them hooking up would involve them both trying to approch the other and be more compromizing, as opposed to friends who don't need to get as close to each other and who are more able to take little jabbs at one another, as well as be less clouded when considering the other.

      Love not only builds on, but it can generate trust, and being too trusting and forgiving towards someone seems like it'd kinda limit quite how snappy you can be towards and around them. I feel as though a romance would shift focus towards their feelings for each other, rather than their dynamic and the way they work off each other, because there might not be the same "room" for a dynamic.

      I think that them remaining friends would allow their characters to breathe more, as well as let them continue work off and tease each other the way they did.

      Of course, a relationship wouldn't have to do all of this, but if it didn't I can't help but wonder if it'd even feel like a relationship if they didn't soften towards one another, so going that way might be trying to please both sides of the audience and end up pleasing neither.

      In terms of what would actually be the best decision in regards to a sequel, I'm not really sure what would be the generally wisest rout to take the relationship. I see 4 main ways ther relationship could be continued, and none of them seems optimal.

      Firstly, they could go all the way with the shipping and make Nick and Judy be madly in love with each other. Some would be extatic would this happen, but as I said, I suspect this would weaken their dynamic.

      Secondly, they could hook them up, but still try to give the relationship a fairly friendly tone, as I pondered earlier, but this could perhapps cause the relation to not really feel romantic enough, to the point where it might seem underwhelming. Still, I'd prefer this over the first option.

      Thirdly, they could keep the true status of their relationship ambigious, kinda like it was in the first movie. This would have the advantage of making most peoplesort of happy, people like me can see them just as friend and the shippers can draw whatever conclusion they preffer. This could however also make the directors seem indicisive and unwilling to take a stand, and people on both side might feel unsatisfied with the lack of disclosure. Not to menitone, if Nick and Judy where interested in each other, you'd expect those feelings to start clearly expressing themselves by that time, it could be difficult to suspend your disbelief regarding two people being that unclear of what they think of each other for that long. Why would friends act as if they could possibly be lovers? Why would lovers be so unclear about their feelings? (Though I suppose that last one could be claimed to be because their relationship is supposed to be something of a secret, if you want a rationalization)

      And last, they could basically make the relationship a seemingly platonic one. This would be fine with me as far as myself is concerned, but I do feel sympathy with all the shipper out there who would cry themselves to sleep if this happened, so I'm not sure I'd want it to.

      I guess that it should for the sake of fairness be mentioned that since Nick is now a reformed character, it is reasonable to assume their relationship won't be as snappy and contrasting in a sequel as it was in the first movie, regardless of the shipping, as he is now a cop and has probably moved closer to Judy in terms of character, which might take the edge off the way they play of each other. This means that whether they hook up may not make that much of a difference for their dynamic.

      If I was to be convinced that there wouldn't be any good way for the duo's dynamic to be the same as in the last film, due to Nick now being a nicer and more propper guy, then I would agree that they might as well go ahead and make Nick and Judy a couple, as that could well be the best way to move the characters forward at that point. But until I'm convinced they wouldn't work better as friends, I will prefer that they remain friends.

        Loading editor
    • I've read this thread and taken in every post made--and all I have to say is, there's really no black or white in this situation. Whatever happens, someone has to be displeased in the end. But, I think they should screw it. They should do whatever feels right for them. I personally don't mind having a sequel , as long as it doesn't lessen in quality and the characters are still who they are (though differences would be inevitable since Nick is now a cop and all), but I don't mind not having a sequel either, because to me the movie ended on a good note and their relationship is up for interpretation, meaning neither takes are really wrong. But, like I said, if they feel like they wanna do a sequel and rev their relationship up a bit more, why not? As long as it's not painfully written/forced (*cough cough, see Flash Sentry from Equestria Girls*) and it flows naturally within the story, then go for it. It's true that non-shippers would be displeased, but like I said, you can't please each other. And what if they still leave their relationship ambiguous in the sequel? Shippers can always make an interpretation out of it and write/draw a continuation, or just imagine it even. Does there even need to be a disclosure? I don't really think it's necessary.


      tl;dr: My stand is, personally, to leave it on an open note--but if they want to push it further, well why the heck not? As long as it flows well and isn't forced, then go for it.


      (Long ramble, sorry in advance)

        Loading editor
    • Nick is older than Judy? I don't remember this. When was it stated? Also, I agree with what you have to say about the platonic relationship thing. While romance itself isn't a bad thing, it would be interesting for Disney to make a male/female partnership that doesn't involve romance. While I admit the idea of them as a pair is not hard to believe, just because it could happen doesn't mean it should. I again hope the future filmmakers of Zootopia 2 do what Mike and Bryan did for Avatar and poke fun at some of the fans ideas in the next film.

        Loading editor
    • Also, I read something about the directors coming out and saying there was a deleted scene with a Judy X Nick moment. I don't believe it was released, or if it ever will be. But it sounds kind of funny.

        Loading editor
    • Darkseidkillsall01 wrote:
      Nick is older than Judy? I don't remember this. When was it stated?

      Judy was 9 at the beginning of the film and became a police 15 years later, so she's 24. Nick says he's been earning money for two decades ever since he was 12, so he's about 32, so there is the better part of a decade between them. I guess the gap doesn't really matter, if they where to hook up and look sufficiently lovely together, the gap would not treally be a problem in of itself, as long as they seem loving and respectful of each other and display a good dynamic, which to me it really the thing you're worried about when it comes to age gaps, uneven and unfair dynamics.

        Loading editor
    • Ah yes, thank you for showing me that. Again, it could work. It all depends on how will it fits into the next story. If it helps develop emotional moments in the next movie, then they should get together. if it doesn't add anything to the story or world at all, then don't have them in a relationship. It's as simple as that.

        Loading editor
    • Agreed. I trust the directors to make the right choice, assuming they don't just do it as fan service.

        Loading editor
    • Darkseidkillsall01 wrote:
      Is there going to be a sequel? I know it may not be confirmed, but I am a little curious. Both of the Directors seem to only do one hit wonders, which is kind of how I'd like to keep it. Unless they can do what Kung Fu Panda and How to Train your Dragon did and make the sequels better than the original, then I don't want a sequel to ruin something that already has a good reputation. As per them being a couple? No idea. If it works for the story, go for it, if it doesn't, don't. Honestly, I think it would be cool if they stretched the possibility of a relationship out over a long period of time. It makes it better and more heartwarming. Or perhaps they shouldn't be a couple at all. Just depends on the story in all honesty. I just wonder what they could do with the second one to match the original story, jokes, ideas, and themes of this movie? Besides, of course, making sure the characters developed and are ready to move on to other lessons, something which a ton of animated sequels (besides the aforementioned films) tend to do.

      there are 2 parts on the movie that made me think that it might have a sequel, first one, when mr big says 'we had unfinished issues' refering to the otter and when the weasel says 'even unrealesed movies'

      (i probably missed something, i only watched the movie in english)

      also no way they are going to be a couple, thats almost zoophilia lol

        Loading editor
    • Knowing Disney, they will most likely make Judy and Nick become a couple in the sequel. 

        Loading editor
    • Nick Piberius Wilde wrote:
      Knowing Disney, they will most likely make Judy and Me become a couple in the sequel. 

      NO NICK YOU ARE STRONGER THAN THIS YOU CAN FIGHT IT DON'T LET YOUR INSTINCTS TAKE OVER DAG NABBIT YOU'RE BETTER THAN THIS I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR VOICE ACTOR SAYS JUST PLEASE OH GEEZ LOUISE JUST FIGHT IT PLEEEAAASE NOOOOOOOOOO

        Loading editor
    • Moldavite.soul wrote:

      NO NICK YOU ARE STRONGER THAN THIS YOU CAN FIGHT IT DON'T LET YOUR INSTINCTS TAKE OVER DAG NABBIT YOU'RE BETTER THAN THIS I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR VOICE ACTOR SAYS JUST PLEASE OH GEEZ LOUISE JUST FIGHT IT PLEEEAAASE NOOOOOOOOOO

      YOUR RIGHT Moldavite.soul!!! I SHOULD FIGHT IT!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

        Loading editor
    • Look in Judy's eyes and tell her your feelings even if you're scared.

        Loading editor
    • CartoonGirl123 wrote:
      Look in Judy's eyes and tell her your feelings even if you're scared.

      I'll consider it, 

        Loading editor
    • YOU LOVE HER. SHE LOVES YOU. THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

      YOU'RE MEANT TO BE, IS THAT SIMPLE.

        Loading editor
    • HAHAHAHAH I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

      - starts singing the song and does the choreography, while looking at Nick and Judy -

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I'm not doing that.

        Loading editor
    • hahahahahah xD Why not?

      Does this make you uncomfortable? xD

        Loading editor
    • I'm not talking to you anymore. 

        Loading editor
    • Ahahah xD

      Why not?

        Loading editor
    • You see, Annie, at the end, Nick said "You know you love me". I repeat. He said "You know you LOVE me" So possibly.

        Loading editor
    • Zootopia 2D render

      We dont know

        Loading editor
    • AHA!!! 😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏

        Loading editor
    • what!? solved cause the pic

        Loading editor
    • Obviously they should be a couple, lip bite, hip bump, did you see that body language, the blush, the side long glance, you know she's feeling it, taking the lead and he's cooperating, first he helps with the case, he defends her, forgives her, helps her, carries her, becomes her partner, attends concert with her, next thing she'll be moving in. You know you love me, do I know that, yes, yes I do!

        Loading editor
    • ya they are friends

        Loading editor
    • Friends? Friends with benefits? More like lovers! After that last scene in the squad car, its time to make it official. OK, they want their privacy, no need to tell the world their personal business, they are working together after all, but with those glances and that body language and playful banter (just like foreplay) I'm convinced they're a couple. Handsome fox, attractive young bunny, anthropomorhpic open minded society, they're attracted to each other's qualities, not justvphysical characteristics, its the whole package, ever see It happened one night? 

        Loading editor
    • Cynical Finnick you are amazing!!!! I agree with u 100%

        Loading editor
    • {{JudyHoppsFan}

      Nick Wilde Pose Render This user is a clever fox.

      What they do together

        Loading editor
    • Cynical Finnick wrote:
      the blush

      Blush? They have fur don't they, how could they be visibly blushing?

      Anyway, I agree that there are some things about them that kinds make it seem like they may like each other, I'd say it's certanly not conclusive. No, not even declaration of love in the car at the end. Judy admitted to loving Nick, but she said it very casually. This could obviously mean that they'd reached a point where their love for each other had been implicitly and mutually aknowledged, leaving its declaration to be relatively casual, but for all we know it could basically be a kind of "I love you man", kinda bro-love (except between opposite-sex friends) , a kind of "you know you like being with me, you know you like interacting with me, you know I complete you, you know it wouldn't be the same without me".

      We'll have to wait for the sequel if we want anything cannonical.(assuming that they don't keep it just as ambigious, which is quite possible, and maybe for the better)

        Loading editor
    • Cynical Finnick wrote:
      Friends? Friends with benefits? More like lovers! After that last scene in the squad car, its time to make it official. OK, they want their privacy, no need to tell the world their personal business, they are working together after all, but with those glances and that body language and playful banter (just like foreplay) I'm convinced they're a couple. Handsome fox, attractive young bunny, anthropomorhpic open minded society, they're attracted to each other's qualities, not justvphysical characteristics, its the whole package, ever see It happened one night? 

      love does not means necessary means having passion(I mean, not every love is passionate)

        Loading editor
    • I think yes most be released soon!

        Loading editor
    • Lazy sceptic wrote that Nick and Judy's love had been "implicitly and mutually acknowledged" anf they had moved into casual acceptace of the relationship territory. They trust each other to the point of sharing intimate personal details, they flirt, they have chemistry, attibutes that compliment one another, mutual respect and admiration, cameraderie, perhaps hesitancy due to societal expectations involving interspecies relationships and police partners, but you cannot deny there is something there deeper than friendship. They need to scknowledge the elephant in the room in the sequel, which they alreadt sort of did with the you know ypu love me yes I do confession at the end of the movie anyhow. What more evidence do non shippers need? Members of the audience I was with expected these two to be a couple by the end, this is the most real caring, loving relationship I've seen depicted in any movie this year. Others can deny it, but c'mon guys its pretty obvious by just watching the two of them interact. He stuck up for her and her dreams when no one else would and he shared something very personal with her he never told anyone else, that's where it started. Cooperation turned into mutual trust, respect, partnership, love.

        Loading editor
    • You are incredible. You are so so so right *claps*

      I couldn't have said it better.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, thanks!

        Loading editor
    • I did not write that

      Nick and Judy's love had been "implicitly and mutually acknowledged"

      , I only said that that was a concievability, it COULD'VE been what was going on, and we're free to imagine that's what was going on, but the adimission of love was also quite casual, so it's prefectly possible that it was meant platonically.

      And I believe Rich Moore, one of the directors who personally supports the shipping has stated that the shipping isn't cannon, at the very least not yet.

        Loading editor
    • when a sequel happens it is known

        Loading editor
    • Hey peoples, if you want to, go on the Fun and Games board and look at the discussion (Nick and Judy). It's a comic I made that shows how Nick and Judy become a couple. 

        Loading editor
    • First of all, good day everyone!

      After reading many of the comments before mine, I believe that if the directing team bless the world with a sequel, I think it should have our sly fox and optimistic bunny in a platonic relationship for three main reasons:

      • First of all one reason that made me fall in love with this movie is the fact that it had zero scenes that didn't promote the action. It is 100% sure that if there were a romantic relationship between them, the movie would start showing some aspects of it, reducing the time of fighting the crime and all that cool stuff and replace it with pointless scenes that serve no purpose but to show us how happy they are as a couple.

      • Second, the people like me who just can't see this working out AT ALL, can be counted out of the "targeted audience" (personally if I hear that they're together I'm not going to go watch it... Or so I say XD) whereas if they can come up with a smart script that shows the two heroes pretty close to each other, the shippers would have reason to believe they could be together and the rest of us could just see them as friends (much like what Zootopia 1 has done... In fact, exactly the same amount of controversy if possible, because with the amount we have now, you can follow any way you want without being wrong)

      • Another very important point is exactly what Zootopia's definition is on Wikipedia: "Zootopia is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated buddy cop comedy adventure film". I don't want to see the word buddy changed, since it's an aspect of the movie.

      Also the most groundbreaking animated film of our time should crush the male+female=romance+kids cliche

      Ps: Kids would make all those points and many more even worse. Stay away Disney please.

      PPS: as someone said earlier, even though they didn't end up as a couple both shippers and non loved the movie, so I trust the team will make the right choice that serves THE PLOT

      Thanks for reading this entire book and just as a disclaimer I'm not against any other opinions.

        Loading editor
    • I don't get big deal

      Examples- Elmer Elephant and Tillie Tiger. Bonkers and Fawn. Pith Possum and Doris Deer. Roger Rabbit and Jessica

        Loading editor
    • Officer of the ZPD wrote:
      First of all, good day everyone!

      After reading many of the comments before mine, I believe that if the directing team bless the world with a sequel, I think it should have our sly fox and optimistic bunny in a platonic relationship for three main reasons:

      • First of all one reason that made me fall in love with this movie is the fact that it had zero scenes that didn't promote the action. It is 100% sure that if there were a romantic relationship between them, the movie would start showing some aspects of it, reducing the time of fighting the crime and all that cool stuff and replace it with pointless scenes that serve no purpose but to show us how happy they are as a couple.

      • Second, the people like me who just can't see this working out AT ALL, can be counted out of the "targeted audience" (personally if I hear that they're together I'm not going to go watch it... Or so I say XD) whereas if they can come up with a smart script that shows the two heroes pretty close to each other, the shippers would have reason to believe they could be together and the rest of us could just see them as friends (much like what Zootopia 1 has done... In fact, exactly the same amount of controversy if possible, because with the amount we have now, you can follow any way you want without being wrong)

      • Another very important point is exactly what Zootopia's definition is on Wikipedia: "Zootopia is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated buddy cop comedy adventure film". I don't want to see the word buddy changed, since it's an aspect of the movie.

      Also the most groundbreaking animated film of our time should crush the male+female=romance+kids cliche

      Ps: Kids would make all those points and many more even worse. Stay away Disney please.

      PPS: as someone said earlier, even though they didn't end up as a couple both shippers and non loved the movie, so I trust the team will make the right choice that serves THE PLOT

      Thanks for reading this entire book and just as a disclaimer I'm not against any other opinions.

      I completely agree with you. This is what  I was thinking. They are cute as friends. I'm happy to find someone who is thinking what I'm thinking. I do respect people's option on whether they should ship them or not but but I don't.

        Loading editor
    • Excuse me for adding 2 comments pretty much "in a row" but I thought I'd add this to one of my previous arguments and maybe add another. Now taking the non shipping audience into account (which according to my experience is about 1 in 5 people) and the movie gross (1 billion $) it is 1/5*1.000.000.000 (assuming Zootopia "2" would get the same gross but the non shippers) which is 200 million "I think, I mean I am just a dumb bunny but we are good at multiplying". Anyway according to my calculations the movie would end up with 800 million (with all the above being true). That is not even remotely close to what a movie such as this could achieve (it's monumental that here in Greece there was NO advertising [at all and yes I'm serious] about the first movie and yet tons of people know it, many more I could have personally ever imagined).

      And to add another argument to my previous ones, I wanna ask shippers this: do you really think Disney is even going to develop it like the fan fiction? There has to be a story besides them since there are some non shippers in there. So here is the question: Do you really think that with the little available time they're gonna have for the relationship (still a waste of time if you ask me but I respect opinions) it's gonna look anything like you imagine it?

      Chief Bogo had a saying for that: "Life isn't some cartoon musical where you sing a little song and your insipid dreams magically come true." I actually advise everyone to be optimistic as I try to be so myself and I'm gonna advise all of you guys to be too, but I just can't see it happening the way you fantasize it. Again, good day and let's all keep hoping for them to confirm a sequel before any of this is discussed as an actual subject :)

        Loading editor
    • They should be a love couple

        Loading editor
    • The reason why I think Disney should make this happen is because it will teach children that it is okay to like someone who doesn’t look like them. It will teach them from an early age that it is okay to have certain traits and like someone who is the exact physical opposite of them. It is important for this influence to take root at a younger age because it could help prevent them from being corrupted by their future peers who may hold a different (negative) view on the subject.

      Sexual things aside, in which this is a kids movie so the fact that some people are like ‘they’re a fox and a rabbit, how would that even work physically?’, that is a factor that is irrelevant. When developing relationships for things like kid’s movies and books, the message the relationship sends is the most important factor so those who’s minds are in the gutter, get off it.  

      Showing it with animals is an innocent and easy way for children to get the memo, as they did with the topic of racism and suppression in the first movie. It has been said that children find it easier to relate to characters, so this platform is perfect and it would be a shame (and somewhat foolish) for Disney to pass it up.



      Besides, other shows have done interspecies couples and no one so much as batted an eye. 

        Loading editor
    • It doesn’t matter to me about their relationship. I just wanted to see the sequel.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.