"To Protect and Serve" is an unaired Cars Toons episode, with Scott Morse as director, Rob Gibbs as co-director, and Mary Alice Drumm and Nicole Paradis Grindle as producers. When it was announced, it was said to be released in 2015, though it did not actually air in that year, leaving it unknown when it will actually air, if at all, and to this day, the short remains unaired. But this short was a Disney Movies Anywhere exclusive.Due to certain, recent, controversial events over the years, mostly the Minneapolis incident, it is most likely never going to be released or if at all, during graveyard hours on TV.
Official synopsis, from Pixar Post:
- "When Sheriff takes a mandatory vacation, two overzealous rookies from County take over his duties in Radiator Springs. Bent on making a good impression to score commendations, the rookies over-do every aspect of their jobs, finding "crimes" at every turn and turning the quiet little town into a hotbed of taped-off crime scenes. No one is safe and everyone's a suspect until Sheriff senses an imbalance and returns home to right the "justice" that’s been served."
- Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen
- Larry the Cable Guy as Mater
- Wendi McLendon-Covey as Didi 05
- Aziz Ansari as Mike 07
- Michael Wallis as Sheriff
- Bonnie Hunt as Sally Carrera
- Lloyd Sherr as Fillmore
- Cheech Marin as Ramone
- Tony Shalhoub as Luigi
- The two rookie police cars both resemble Rod "Torque" Redline.
- Despite the short having not aired yet, some merchandise has emerged from it, including a book released in the beginning of 2015, that contains several images from the short.
- This, if anything, confirms that the short was at least close to being completed, by the time of the book's release.