Togo centers on "two key figures in the 1925 serum run to Nome, also known as the Great Race of Mercy, in which dog-sled teams relayed to transport diphtheria antitoxin serum through harsh conditions over nearly 700 miles to save the Alaskan town of Nome from an epidemic."
- Willem Dafoe as Leonhard Seppala
- Thorbjørn Harr
On October 28, 2015, it was announced that Walt Disney Pictures was developing a film about the 1925 serum run to Nome focusing on the sled dog Togo and his owner Leonhard Seppala. The screenplay was set to be written by Tom Flynn and the production was to be overseen by Jessica Virtue and Louie Provost for Disney.
On May 16, 2018, it was announced that Ericson Core would direct the film, that Kim Zubick would serve as a producer, and that the film would debut on Disney's then-unnamed upcoming streaming service. Additionally, it was further announced that Willem Dafoe would star in the film as Leonhard Seppala, the owner of Togo. On December 10, 2018, it was reported that Thorbjørn Harr had joined the cast of the film.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Willem Dafoe to Star in Disney Adventure Movie 'Togo' (Exclusive)". (en) The Hollywood Reporter. (July 12, 2018) Retrieved on July 14, 2018.
- ↑ "Disney Developing Sled Dog Movie ‘Togo and Seppala’". Variety. (October 28, 2015) Retrieved on July 14, 2018.
- ↑ "'22 July' Actor Joins Willem Dafoe in Disney Adventure Drama 'Togo' (Exclusive)". (en) The Hollywood Reporter. (December 10, 2018) Retrieved on December 10, 2018.
- ↑ "Exclusive: Production Start Date For Disney's Streaming Service Film 'Togo'". DSNY Newscast. (July 5, 2018) Retrieved on September 24, 2018.
- ↑ "Extras sought for Disney's dog-sled adventure film, Togo". Calgary Herald. (August 21, 2018) Retrieved on September 19, 2018.