Thomas Jeffrey "Tom" Hanks is an American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter, best known for his roles in live-action films, including Big, Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, A League of Their Own, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, That Thing You Do!, Saving Private Ryan, You've Got Mail, The Green Mile, Cast Away, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, The Da Vinci Code, Charlie Wilson's War, and Angels & Demons. He won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his roles in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump. He is also the husband of Rita Wilson, father of Colin Hanks, and Jim Hanks' older brother.
For Disney, he voices Woody in Disney/Pixar's Toy Story franchise and commercials, while his brother, Jim Hanks voices Woody in Toy Story Treats, video games, and other media, Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks, Scott Turner in Turner & Hooch, Allen Bauer in Splash, James B. Donovan in Bridge of Spies, and Goldthwaite Higginson in The Ladykillers. He makes a vocal cameo as himself in the Big City Greens episode "Cheap Show".
- Tom Hanks is related to three famous people:
- Hanks is related to Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of America; he is the third cousin, four times removed of the former president. Hank's link to Honest Abe comes through the President's mother, Nancy Hanks. As a joke, in Toy Story 2, Woody mentions Abraham Lincoln's mother in reference to his voice actor.
- Not only did he play Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks, he was also actually a distant cousin of Walt himself.
- Hanks is also related to Fred Rogers, who he portrays in the drama film A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.
- Hanks was considered to voice Dodger in Oliver and Company, along with several actors that were considered, but the role was later given to Billy Joel.
- Hanks was originally considered for the role of Qui-Gon Jinn in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, along with several other actors, before Liam Neeson was ultimately cast.
- His role as Forrest Gump from Forrest Gump was spoofed by Genie in Aladdin and the King of Thieves.
- He was mentioned in Muppets Most Wanted, the BUNK'D episode "Boos and Birthdays", and an episode of I Didn't Do It.
- He was originally offered to play the villain in the 2019 live-action film adaptation of Dumbo before his Toy Story 3 co-star Michael Keaton took over the role.
- His favorite film Walt Disney produced was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.