For Disney, he voices Woody in Disney/Pixar's Toy Story franchise and commercials, while his brother, Jim Hanks voices Woody in Toy Story Treats, video games, and other media, Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks, Scott Turner in Turner & Hooch, Allen Bauer in Splash, James B. Donovan in Bridge of Spies, and Goldthwaite Higginson in The Ladykillers.
- Hanks is related to Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of America. He is the third cousin, four times removed of the former president. Hank's link to Honest Abe comes through the President's mother, Nancy Hanks. As a joke, in Toy Story 2, Woody mentions Abraham Lincoln's mother in reference to his voice actor.
- Hanks is also related to Fred Rogers, who he portrays in the drama film A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.
- Hanks was considered to voice Dodger in Oliver and Company, along with several actors that were considered, but the role was later given to Billy Joel.
- Hanks was originally considered for the role of Qui-Gon Jinn in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace along with several other actors. However, Liam Neeson was cast at the end.
- His role as Forrest Gump from Forrest Gump was spoofed by Genie in Aladdin and the King of Thieves.
- He was mentioned in Muppets Most Wanted, the BUNK'D episode "Boos and Birthdays" and an episode of I Didn't Do It.
- He was originally offered to play the villain in the 2019 live-action film adaptation of Dumbo before his Toy Story 3 co-star Michael Keaton took over the role.
- His favorite film Walt Disney produced was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
- Not only did he play Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks, he was also actually a distant cousin of Walt himself.