It features Mr. Owl discussing the study of musical instruments - the subject of the day. Mr. Owl tells the class (and the viewer), in rhyme, about all music that originates from four core sounds: toot (brass), whistle (woodwind), plunk (strings), and boom (percussion).
A History of music through the ages, from prehistoric man to the modern symphony orchestra.
- Bertie Birdbrain (voiced by Bill Thompson)
- Canary Sisters
- Penelope Pinfeather (voiced by Loulie Jean Norman)
- Professor Owl (voiced by Bill Thompson)
- Suzy Sparrow (voiced by Gloria Wood)
- Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom (voiced by Jimmy MacDonald)
Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom has been listed on Jerry Beck's 50 Greatest Cartoons list, where, in a survey of numerous animation historians and people in the field, the short was voted the 29th best animated short.
Both of the Adventures in Music shorts found a long lasting legacy when footage was re-used for the interstitials of the Disney Sing Along Songs video series.
- Walt Disney Presents, #5.24: "Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom"
- The New Mickey Mouse Club, March 10, 1977
- The Ink and Paint Club, episode #1.36: "Award Winners II"
- Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Limited Gold Editions - Disney's Best: The Fabulous '50s