"Tough Love" is the second segment of the fifty-fourth episode of Star vs. the Forces of Evil. It premiered on March 31, 2018 alongside "Bam Ui Pati!", and is the second segment of the nineteenth episode in the third season.
Moon and Eclipsa are visiting the Pigeon family to learn the whereabouts of Meteora. Their son, Rich Pigeon, angrily tells them that she damaged their castle (which is simply just a giant hole in the shape of Meteora as the rest of the castle is always a mess). Rich angrily tells them to leave and they do so. They come upon angry villagers who have just had their village destroyed and plan on hunting down Meteora. Eclipsa urges that they find her first and run into Eddie who has been in hiding. He takes them to the Boggobah Swamp, which has been completely drained, and reveals that his family has had their souls sucked from Meteora. He finds her asleep and ineptly wakes her up, resulting in his soul getting drained.
As Meteora stumbles around, Moon and Eclipsa try to approach her. Eclipsa decides to try to directly interact though Moon is skeptical. Eclipsa pulls out Bobo, a small childhood doll, and reaches out to Meteora. After identifying the doll and realizing that Eclipsa is her "mama" (Meteora is offended when Eclipsa insists on being called "mother"), she cradles her. Eclipsa tries to explain that she has been absent in her life due to being crystallized by "backwards, maladjusted people, especially their old queen" and offers to chance to catch up and give her anything she wants.
Meteora wants the throne of Mewni, but Eclipsa tells her that it is impossible, resulting in her throwing a tantrum. Moon and Meteora fight with it briefly ceasing when Eclipsa attempts to tell the latter that she loves her. However, when Moon pins Meteora down, Eclipsa pushes her back, resulting in Meteora sapping half of Moon's soul (evidenced by one of her eyes being completely black). Terrified, Moon opens a portal and retreats. Meteora manages to get up and continues her rampage, leaving Eclipsa devastated.
- Esmé Bianco as Eclipsa Butterfly
- Rhys Darby as Eddie
- Grey DeLisle as Moon Butterfly
- Jessica Walter as Meteora Butterfly
- Eric Bauza as Angry Man 3, Young Villager
- Mark Gagliardi as Angry Man 1, Angry Man 2, Angry Man 4
- Laura Silverman as Angry Woman
- Gary Anthony Williams as Richard Pigeon
- This is the second episode in the series since "Moon the Undaunted" where Star is both physically absent and unmentioned. Unlike "Moon the Undaunted", this time it's in the present.
- Meteora is revealed to have magic and the ability to steal others' souls.
- July 6, 2018 (Southeast Asia)
- August 17, 2018 (Latin America)
- November 12, 2018 (Portugal)
- January 20, 2019 (Japan)