Tuk Tuk is a character in Disney’s 2021 animated feature film, Raya and the Last Dragon. A third-pill bug, third-armadillo, and third-pug hybrid, he is Raya’s pet, with the ability to roll into a ball as a means of transportation.
- Part-pill bug, part-pug, part-high speed off-road vehicle and all adorable, Tuk Tuk has been Raya’s best friend since she could hold him in the palm of her hand. Now they are both grown, and Tuk Tuk is Raya’s faithful, gigantic steed. Together, they tear through the varied terrains of Kumandra at incredible speeds on a journey to find the last dragon and save the world.
Role in the film
As a young Raya notices a trap blocking her path, she sends a young Tuk Tuk to get pass the trap, telling him to stay focused in a plan for her to find the Dragon Gem in a hidden chamber. After Raya is declared a Guardian of the Dragon Gem, Tuk Tuk sits on Raya's shoulder as Chief Benja tells her to know about the other lands in order to fight the Druun to which Benja explains to his daughter that the Druun are only enemies, because they think the Dragon Gem brings them prosperity.
During a conversation between Raya and Namaari, Tuk Tuk listens to Namaari recapping the legend of the mighty dragon Sisu just as Namaari hopes that the dragon would return to Kumandra one day to save the kingdom to which after the conversation, Tuk Tuk follows the two inside the same chamber where the Dragon Gem rests at, but later notices Namaari's betrayal to Raya about doing the right thing for her own kingdom Fang, much to Tuk Tuk's anger believing that this is not what the feast is supposed to do just as Namaari launches a flare in the air, much to Tuk Tuk's worry.
Eight years later at the Land of Tail, Tuk Tuk grows up into an adult, along with her owner Raya traveling across the harsh desert of Tail just as Raya continues her quest, Tuk Tuk becomes distracted upon seeing a lizard scurrying in the desert, to which Raya tells him to stay focused. Suddenly, a Druun appears and prepares to attack the two to which Raya eradicates the monster with a piece of the Dragon Gem. Arriving at the spot where a shipwreck lies (where the mighty dragon Sisu would be at), Tuk Tuk attempts to follow, but cannot enter due to his full size. After Raya asks Sisu for help, Tuk Tuk is briefly seen drinking the water from the river to which he sees the droplets absorbing each other as they form into the mighty dragon Sisu to Tuk Tuk hears a conversation between Raya and Sisu. Sisu offers Tuk Tuk a piece of jackfruit jerky to him but refuses to finish.
Tuk Tuk then takes Raya and Sisu to a sacred cavern where many traps lie just as he waits outside, due to his size. As Raya and Sisu escape from Namaari and her mercenaries, the two board on Tuk Tuk to escape from her to which the three escape into a boat, which is a Shrimporium employed by Boun as the three plan to escape into Talon. While on the Shrimporium, Tuk Tuk eats some of the dumplings while Boun prepares the house special for the two. As Boun's boat arrives at a swamp, Tuk Tuk feels worried that there are Druun lurking by to which Boun explains that the reason why he never leaves his boat is because of the Druun hiding at the swamp just before the boat sails to the land of Talon.
Upon arriving at the marketplace of Talon, Raya and Tuk Tuk walk across the marketplace to which they are halted when they notice Noi throwing a tantrum to Tuk Tuk asks three Ongis to ride on his back to which it is revealed that the three Ongis are con artists, alongside Noi just as the two chase them across the harbor. Tuk Tuk manages to foil Noi and the three Ongis to retrieve the pieces of the Gem and later another one from Dang Hu who has it just as Raya rescues Sisu from her as she goes onboard the Shrimporium in a plan to get to Fang. On their way to Spine as Noi and the Ongis make a mess on Boun's kitchen just as a pot of spicy sauce accidentally falls on Tuk Tuk's dumplings, to which he reacts to it in disgust.
Upon arriving at the Land of Spine, Tuk Tuk barges into Tong's hut as Noi and the three Ongis tie up the lone warrior of Spine on a post. Later as Raya devises a plan to Tong to protect Raya's friends, Tuk Tuk escapes with Tong across the forest along with the rest of Raya's companions as Raya's friends board the Shrimporium.
As the Shrimporium arrives at the land of Fang, Tuk Tuk listens to a conversation between Raya explaining to her friends about the soup her father made before he was petrified just before a flare is launched in the sky, interrupting the conversation. The next day, Tuk Tuk and the rest of Raya's friends confront Namaari before she fires her arrow at Sisu. As the Druun continue plaguing Kumandra, Tuk Tuk is petrified along with everyone at Kumandra, as the gem's magic fades away.
With all the pieces of the Dragon Gem reunited, Tuk Tuk is revived alongside everyone at Kumandra. Tuk Tuk then takes Raya back to Heart where he encounters her father who was revived by the magic. Later, Tuk Tuk then walks alongside everyone else in rejoice.
- In Thailand, a “tuk-tuk” is a vehicle used as urban transportation in cities such as Bangkok.
- Tuk Tuk was created out of necessity, as the story required a mode of transportation for Raya. After brainstorming ideas for what could serve such a purpose in a fantasy environment, the filmmakers created a hybrid animal with the ability to curl into a ball and ride. The visual development artists later expanded on this idea to create a full-fledged character in Tuk Tuk.
- Tuk Tuk is Alan Tudyk’s eighth consecutive role in the Disney Animated Canon.
- Yang, Rachel (January 26, 2021). "Watch Awkwafina's Sisu in action in new Raya and the Last Dragon trailer" (Article). EW.
- Hunter, Natalie (January 26, 2021). "Raya And The Last Dragon Producer Shares The Secret Origins of Tuk Tuk" (Article). ScreenRant.