13-year-old Nory (Izabela Rose) and her best friend Reina (Siena Agudong) enter the Sage Academy for Magical Studies, where Nory's wonky magic lands her in a class for those with Upside-Down Magic, otherwise known as UDM. While many believe that the UDM’s unique powers make them a target to dangerous and evil shadow magic, Nory and her fellow UDM classmates set out to prove that Upside-Down Magic beats right-side-up!
The film opens up with Nory (Izabela Rose) explaining that she and her father live together after Nory's mother passed. When she was seven, Nory turned into a yellow kitten with dragon wings (dritten) when she was unpacking her stuff with her father in their new house.
Six years later, Nory is thirteen and can turn into combination animals that include three or more animals in each form. She also has friend named Reina Carvajal (Siena Agudong).
- Izabela Rose as Nory Horace
- Siena Agudong as Reina Carvajal
- Vicki Lewis as Headmaster Knightslinger
- Kyle Howard as Budd Skriff
- Elie Samouhi as Elliot Cohen
- Alison Fernandez as Pepper
- Max Torina as Andres Padillo
- Cynthia Kaye McWilliams as Professor Argon
- Elaine Kao as Professor Han
- Yasmeen Fletcher as Chandra
- Amitai Marmorstein as Professor Lewis
- Callum Seagraim Arlie as Phillip
- The movie's premiere date is exactly five years after Descendants.
- This film is rated TV-PG.
- Differences from the books:
- Unlike the books, Nory and her classmates attend Sage Academy instead of Dunwiddle Magic School.
- There is no "shadow magic" in the books.
- In the books, Upside-Down Magic is a polite way of addressing different magic, and a lot of students discriminate against the UDM students.
- Three UDM students from the books do not appear: Marigold (can shrink objects with her hands), Bax (can flux into inanimate objects and even move those objects while fluxed), and Sebastian (can see things that are invisible, particularly sound waves).
- Elliot can conjure smoke in the film when he has freezing magic in the books.
- In the books, Elliot could do "normal" flare magic though it was often followed by him unintentionally freezing objects
- In the books Elliot and Nory both learned how to control their Upside-Down Magic and do "normal" magic to a degree. Nory could hold her cat form for seventeen min by the end of book one. Presumably this becomes longer as she joins kittenball sports where wonky fluxing isn't allowed.
- Fuzzies did not always have the ability to talk to animals, but "normal" Fuzzies were able to calm animals.
- Pepper was a Fierce in the books, or someone who unintentionally always scared any animals that came near her. This also affected Nory and other Fluxers.
- Reina Carvajal was created only for the film, since she was not mentioned in the books.
- Headmaster Knightslinger takes over the role of Stone Horace (Nory's father) in the books.
- Stone Horace, Nory's father, is a bigot and kicks Nory out of the house due to her Upside-Down Magic. When he comes back later to watch her school performance in Book 3, he still refuses to accept Nory for having Upside-Down Magic. However, it is plausible that he accepted her in Book 7.
- In the books, Flickers are able to turn themselves and other objects invisible; in the movie, they have telekinesis. It is plausible that the Flicker ability was changed because of budget constraints.
- In the books Nory is 10/11-years. In the film, she is 13.
- Nory and the rest of the characters in the UDM world gain their powers when they are 10-years in the books. In the film, they gain their powers at varying time intervals.
- The UDM program was discontinued in the end of the film, while it continued it the books.
- ↑ http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/06/05/tom-howe-scoring-disney-channels-upside-down-magic/
- ↑ https://programminginsider.com/friday-final-ratings-espn-tops-all-key-adult-and-male-demos-with-their-first-doubleheader-of-nba-restart/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUyqi_vEcsE&feature=emb_title
- ↑ Petski, Denise (August 19, 2019). "Disney Channel Sets Cast For ‘Upside-Down Magic’ Movie As Production Begins".