- “Who's a good Uumlaut? Who's a good Uumlaut? You are!”
Role in the Series
The Uumlaut appears in the episode "The Way of the Willow". Willow came across the little critter during her travels through the Neserdnian Empire and Willow gave her to Queen Arianna as a birthday gift. She appears harmless, but can turn destructive if the instructions are not followed. Arianna was first excited to have the Uumlaut as a pet, but started to get annoyed by her strange behavior and continuously ringing her rattle. During the trip to Mount Saison, Arianna was irritated by Willow and the Uumlaut. When she threw the Uumlaut's rattle away, she started to uncontrollably multiply herself at an exponential rate. The copies of the Uumlaut quickly covered the forest under Mount Saison and were running towards Corona.
Arianna tried to ring the rattle again to clam them down but it did not work. Rapunzel figured out that had to give the rattle back to the original Uumlaut. Rapunzel's family, along with Eugene and Lance Strongbow, created a cape-kite and refitted the telescope into an amplifier. Arianna and Willow rode the cape-kite and rang the rattle with the amplifier. The Uumlaut finally heard the ringing and took back the rattle. Her copies were soon retrieved back into her body. Afterwards, Willow promised to care for the Uumlaut, but was left behind after bidding Rapunzel and Arianna farewell.
- The two dots on the back of the Uumlaut is the reference of the term umlaut, the two dots above the vowel in German (Example: ä, ö, ü).
- The copies of the Uumlaut are single-colored, significantly different from the original one.
- The Uumalaut is a reference to the Mogwai from Gremlins. Just like the Mogwai, the Uumalaut is a harmless-looking critter, but can multiply and turn feral if the rules are not followed.
- The Uumalaut also references the Tribbles from Star Trek in that they are small furry creatures that procreate at a fast rate.