- “Human beings are fearful and in need of protection. But then, that fear can inspire them to do great things.”
In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he first appeared in 2015's Avengers: Age of Ultron after Tony Stark uploaded J.A.R.V.I.S.' remains into the synthetic body that Ultron was creating with the use of the Mind Stone. He and Wanda Maximoff are the titular protagonists of the Disney+ series WandaVision.
Vision was created by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, and John Buscema.
- 1 Background
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Gallery
- 4 Trivia
- 5 References
Powers and abilities
Vision is an android possessing a number of superhuman powers ultimately derived from his tissue, Vibranium and the Mind Stone.
- Energy blasts: Enables Vision to fire blasts of various kinds of energy from the Mind Stone in his forehead.
- Superhuman Durability: The Vibranium material makes Vision extremely durable. He can also manipulate his density and weight to increase his already-high durability.
- Density Control: Due to the Mind Stone, Vision can manipulate or alter his body's density, weight, and mass to become intangible or highly durable. By shunting a non-critical portion of his body's molecules away from him, he can become a weightless, transparent, intangible wraith, unable to be touched by solid matter. By accruing extradimensional mass and fortifying his body with it, he can make his body extremely hard and durable to the point that missiles will not harm him.
- Superhuman Strength: Vision's base strength is considerably high due to his Vibranium-enriched tissues. Vision can greatly increase his physical strength by increasing his density base strength to 50 tons, increasing his density will increase his strength, to a maximum of 90 tons. Movement gets restrictive the more he maximizes his density.
- Intangibility: Vision's control over his density, weight, and mass allows him to become completely intangible and phase through solid objects.
- Physical Disruption: Vision can use his density control offensively by attaining intangibility, and then becoming tangible when passing through another object. This technique destroys the object from within.
- Flight: When his body is at minimum mass, Vision can fly through the air weightlessly. He can move at great speeds when this happens and has control over his speed force, being able to instantly stop moving while in the air by freezing his motion.
- Computer Interface: Vision can communicate with, interact with, and hack into other computer systems.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Vision also is capable of rapid analysis of huge amounts of data.
Marvel Animated Universe
Vision was created by Ultron in order to build an indestructible body for it. This was to be Ultron's "vision for the future." He was tasked with stealing adamantium from Weapon X and Captain America's shield as well as vibranium from Wakanda. Vision successfully infiltrated Weapon X but failed to acquire the shield and vibranium. While in Wakanda, he was damaged by Black Panther, Captain America, Thor, and Hawkeye. Vision retreated after being defeated. Despite his failure, Ultron settled with just having adamantium.
Vision then built synthetic versions of each of the Avengers so they would replace the real ones. However, Vision's artificial intelligence began growing outside Ultron's original programming. He began to question his creator's actions. Captain America infiltrated their base and Vision was ordered to kill him. Inspired by Captain America's humanity, Vision betrayed his creator just before Ultron could kill Cap and freed the captured Avengers. He exploited Ultron's one weakness by disconnecting the head from its body allowing the Avengers to defeat him. While fleeing the base, Cap saved Vision. Upon their return to the Avengers Mansion, Vision explained that he came to the conclusion that Ultron's actions were incorrect. Ultron had programmed him to be perfect, but he believed he should be more like humans.
When Vision needed repairs, he was shut down for a month and awakened to discover that the team had become dictators, ruling the world. He soon found out that Purple Man used his powers on Iron Man who used his satellites to amplify his powers. Vision was able to snap the team out of their spell and free everyone.
He joined the team along with the New Avengers in defeating Galactus and his heralds.
Vision appears in the show's third season episode "A Friend in Need."
As Ultron sought to create a more powerful body, he and the Maximoff twins went to Seoul to attack the U-Gin Research Genetics. Ultron asked Dr. Helen Cho if she could create a new body to him, Cho refused to such a request; Ultron then used Loki's scepter to manipulate her. Cho created his new body, Ultron was preparing to transfer his mind to the android, Scarlet Witch took advantage of this to read Ultron's thoughts and found out his plan of global destruction. Wanda then freed Cho from mind control, which caused Ultron attacked her and her brother. Shortly after, the Avengers took control of the body after the battle against Ultron and his sentries.
When Bruce Banner and Tony Stark worked in the body, Stark revealed to Banner that J.A.R.V.I.S. was still alive and that he sought to transfer J.A.R.V.I.S' mind into the android. Stark's desire caused a discussion between the Avengers, suddenly Thor appeared, and using Mjolnir created a lightning that gave life to the android. The android looked confused at the time of his birth. After attacking Thor, the being apologized for his behavior and took a similar appearance to the god of thunder. Thor explained to his comrades that the being was wearing an Infinity Stone, specifically the Mind Stone.
A confused Captain America asked why the being sounded like JARVIS, Stark explained him that he had upload JARVIS into the android. Vision told the Avengers that he was not Ultron nor JARVIS, he is only himself. He also explained that he is on the side of life, while Ultron was not. He told the Avengers that Ultron was in a state of pain; and that Ultron wants to take revenge on them, especially Tony as he was the Avenger most hated. After finishing, Vision was able to lift Mjolnir for the surprise from everyone in the room.
He, the Avengers, and the Maximoff twins went to Sokovia to stop Ultron and prevent his plan was a success. Vision confronted Ultron and asked to stop all this, Ultron responded by trying to strangle Vision. Vision took the opportunity to hack into Ultron's programming and disable his ability to enter the net. Shortly after, Vision hits Ultron with Mjolnir before returning it Thor. Later, Ultron attacked Vision in midair; he defended himself by blasted it. Thor and Iron Man joined him and attacked Ultron, leaving the rogue robot badly wounded.
When Iron Man and Thor destroyed the city, Vision flew and helped Scarlet Witch to move away from danger. A Ultron sentry that had survived was intercepted by Vision, who asked him if he was afraid of dying. Ultron instead replied that Vision was only a Stark's slave and it was very naive, Vision simply smiled at this and countered by saying that he was "born yesterday". Ultron tried to attack only to be blasted and destroyed forever by Vision.
Vision is a member of the the New Avengers, but stays behind at their new facility during their mission to stop Crossbones in Lagos. After Wanda's attempt to stop Rumlow from a suicide bombing which resulting the deaths of Wakandan goodwill workers there, the Avengers' personal accountability was brought into question. He walks through the wall while Steve and Wanda were blaming each other for the incident. He informs them that the Secretary of State is with Stark. He sits with the other Avengers as Ross explained that there were disagreements among the world's governments about whether the Avengers should all be considered heroes or vigilantes as the unlimited power with which they have operated could no longer be tolerated since it was almost impossible to control. He presents them the Sokovia Accords which would give them control over the Avengers actions, aiming to ensure less civilian casualties and property damage in the future. He explains that since Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of enhanced individuals has grown and world ending events occurred because of it and the Accords would be a safety measure to prevent a future catastrophe. He joins Stark's avengers as they are sent to capture Rogers and his team. He accidentally blasts Rhodes out of the sky.
Vision is targeted by Thanos for the Mind Stone. Scarlet Witch attempts to intervene, but Thanos ultimately kills Vision for the sixth stone, allowing him to snap his fingers and eliminate half of existence.
He is seen at the beginning during a tribute to all those who died in the Infinity War.
Wanda, still grieving over Vision, created a world where the two live as a married couple with two twin boys in a suburban sitcom like world. This world was created by trapping all the inhabitants of a town called "Westview" (located in New Jersey) inside a magic energy field that surrounds the area, keeping the illusion of the sitcom and forcing the people inside to live the fantasy with Wanda, and if anyone mentions her brother, Ultron or anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe's reality, she ejects them.
- In the films, Vision is built with Jarvis' brain waves. In the comics, he has the brain patterns of Wonder Man.
- Vision's actor Paul Bettany is married to Jenifer Connelly who voiced K.A.R.E.N. in Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- His Mexican wrestler costume he wears for Halloween in the sixth episode of Wandavision, is the spitting image of his comic book costume.
|This page uses content from the Marvel Animated Universe Wiki The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with DisneyWiki, the text of MAUWiki is available under the CC-by-SA Free Documentation License.|