Vivian, better known as Viv, is a character on the Disney Channel series That's So Raven. She is the maternal grandmother of Raven and Cory Baxter, and the mother of Tanya Baxter. She makes her only appearance in the episode "To See or Not to See," where she reveals to Raven that she is also a psychic. She is portrayed by Jenifer Lewis.
According to Victor, when his mother Loretta found out Vivian was a psychic, she didn't accept it, and thought of her as a "Whoo."
During her stay, Viv and Cory are playing with lightsabers until Raven and Chelsea come home from school. Shocked by her energetic behavior, she asks Raven if that really is her grandmother, offending Viv, who only likes being called by first-name basis. She then pranks Cory with "dinner," which is really a fake skull, causing Cory to vow to prank her back. Raven introduces Viv to Chelsea, explaining that she has a date later on. Viv then goes into her purse to hand Chelsea a dress, which she thinks would look better. The trio then head to Raven's room to help Chelsea get dressed, and Viv recalls Raven's strange expressions, when having visions, embarrassing Raven. Cory then enters the room, intending to prank Viv by placing a whoopi cushion on a stool, but Viv sees this coming, and tricks him into sitting on there instead.
The next night, Raven and Viv are camping out in the living room while roasting marshmallows, and Viv notices Raven's downward demeanor. Raven confesses that she hates her visions, as they make her feel isolated and a freak. Viv, understanding how she feels, shows empathy towards Raven, and how the visions can often put her in a lose-lose situation. This prompts Raven to realize that her grandmother is also a psychic. She showcases her ability by telling Raven that Cory is attempting to prank them with water balloons as they speak. She explains to Raven that her powers are a gift, and despite the troubles they may cause with her friends, they're still her friends, and won't go away. She then tells Raven if she ever needs to talk, she can always call her.
Powers and Abilities
- Clairvoyance: Like her granddaughter, Raven, Vivian gets "psychic visions" about what may or may not happen later and is only able to "see" a small segment of some future event. Since she is older and more experienced than Raven, she has demonstrated more control over her abilities than her granddaughter. She is also shown to possess tarot cards.
- Telepathy: According to Tanya in "Leave it to Diva", Viv used to get psychic-colds all the time, allowing her to temporarily gain the ability to read minds. However, it only lasts a few days before the effects wore off.
- Spell Casting: In "Don't Have a Cow," Raven receives a vision in which she and Chelsea go through Viv's old trunk, where they see all the supernatural possessions she owns. The most notable item they find is a large book titled "A Book of Potions, Spells, and Incantations", which contains instructions for various magical spells. While it's unknown how Viv frequently used this book in the past, the episode did display some magical abilities that she was capable of with these spells:
- Wish Granting: The spell book has instructions for a spell that can grant any wish the user desires. Raven and Chelsea used this to get invited to the Halloween party of Raven's enemy, Alana, and to win the costume contest at the party. Both of these ended up coming true.
- Hypnosis: The spell book can briefly hypnotize others to perform actions the user wants them to do. Though Alana refused to invite Raven and Chelsea to the party due to her bad history with them, the spell put her in a trance-like state and forced her to change her mind.
- Animal Transformation: The spell book can also turn users into different animals. After the user casts the spell, their body and behavior will slowly change to match that of the animal they want to become. Raven and Chelsea accidentally triggered this spell when they dropped a button with a cow's face into the cauldron while making their wishes. Over the course of the night, their bodies and eating habits became more cow-like, and they began mooing frequently. By the end of the party, they were completely transformed into cows, though this was ultimately prevented since it took place in a vision.
- "To See or Not to See" (First & Only Appearance)
- "Don't Have a Cow" (Mentioned)
- "Leave It To Diva" (Mentioned)