Vivian, better known as Viv, is a character on the Disney Channel series That's So Raven. She is the maternal grandmother of Raven and Cory Baxter, and the mother of Tanya Baxter. She makes her only appearance in the episode "To See or Not to See," where she reveals to Raven that she is also a psychic. She is portrayed by Jenifer Lewis.
Powers and Abilities
- Clairvoyance: Like her granddaughter, Raven, Vivian gets "psychic visions" about what may or may not happen later and is only able to "see" a small segment of some future event. Since she is older and more experienced than Raven, she has demonstrated more control over her abilities than her granddaughter. She is also shown to possess tarot cards.
- Telepathy: According to Tanya in "Leave it to Diva", Viv used to get psychic-colds all the time, allowing her to temporarily gain the ability to read minds. However, it only lasts a few days before the effects wore off.
According to Victor, when his mother Loretta found out Vivian was a psychic, she didn't accept it, and thought of her as a "Whoo."
During her stay, Viv and Cory are playing with lightsabers until Raven and Chelsea come home from school. Shocked by her energetic behavior, she asks Raven if that really is her grandmother, offending Viv, who only likes being called by first-name basis. She then pranks Cory with "dinner," which is really a fake skull, causing Cory to vow to prank her back. Raven introduces Viv to Chelsea, explaining that she has a date later on. Viv then goes into her purse to hand Chelsea a dress, which she thinks would look better. The trio then head to Raven's room to help Chelsea get dressed, and Viv recalls Raven's strange expressions, when having visions, embarrassing Raven. Cory then enters the room, intending to prank Viv by placing a whoopi cushion on a stool, but Viv sees this coming, and tricks him into sitting on there instead.
The next night, Raven and Viv are camping out in the living room while roasting marshmallows, and Viv notices Raven's downward demeanor. Raven confesses that she hates her visions, as they make her feel isolated and a freak. Viv, understanding how she feels, shows empathy towards Raven, and how the visions can often put her in a lose-lose situation. This prompts Raven to realize that her grandmother is also a psychic. She showcases her ability by telling Raven that Cory is attempting to prank them with water balloons as they speak. She explains to Raven that her powers are a gift, and despite the troubles they may cause with her friends, they're still her friends, and won't go away. She then tells Raven if she ever needs to talk, she can always call her.
As revealed in "Don't Have a Cow", Vivian collected various paranormal objects over the years, which included a magical book titled "A Book of Potions, Spells, and Incantations". The episode demonstrated that the book was capable of granting wishes, hypnotizing others, and turning people into different animals.
- "To See or Not to See" (First & Only Appearance)
- "Don't Have a Cow" (Mentioned)
- "Leave It To Diva" (Mentioned)
- "Hey I heard that. Don't use that kind of language around here. Vivian."
- "Bring it on, little man, bring it on."
- "Honey we gotta get you outta that plaid, and into something bad."
- "Honey I was one hot-lookin, den mother."