The Vulture (real name Adrian Toomes) is a supervillain from Marvel Comics. Sporting a vulture motif based on his namesake, Vulture is an opponent specializing in flight, and has established himself as one of Spider-Man's most notable adversaries. He makes his debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the 2017 film, Spider-Man: Homecoming as the main antagonist, portrayed by Michael Keaton.
Vulture was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.
Marvel Animated Universe
Adrian Toomes was a gothic teenager who was experimented on by Doctor Octopus at Oscorp, where he was injected with a serum derived from vulture DNA and got his memories erased, allowing him to transform into a vulture-human hybrid. He was later found by Spider-Man, who declined his offer to join the new warriors. He was then found by Taskmaster and left his team, then once again he joined Doctor Octopus, who gave him Hydra armor. However, in the series finale, both he and Rhino were cured thanks to Spider-Man.
Vulture appears as the main antagonist of the film. Initially a damage repair worker for Damage Control, Adrian Toomes was present in the aftermath of the Chitauri attack on New York. While salvaging the remains of a Leviathan ship, Toomes' was halted from further work by Stark Industries who were assigned to finish the cleanup, despite Toomes' protests that the project was funding his workers' families. Unknown to the Stark representatives, Toomes and his personal crew stashed away some Chitauri technology before the rest was confiscated.
Because of Stark's businesses running out smaller ones like his own, Toomes developed a vendetta against Tony Stark. To carry out his schemes, Toomes used the Chitauri technology to develop a special flight suit and gadgets. With his lackeys, Toomes spent the next four years stealing technology and developing his company further.
- In the comics, Adrian Toomes was the first to take on the identity of the Vulture, and there ended up being three incarnations of the Vulture.
- Michael Keaton is known for playing flying animal-based superbeings in the past, the first being Batman and next as Birdman from Birdman. His role as Vulture marks the third time he has portrayed this character type.
- Mark Hamill originally wanted to play The Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming only if Michael Keaton didn't want to play the part. Keaton initially turned down the offer, but later regretted just in time and got the role.
- The Vulture was originally planned to be the main antagonist in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4, but this never came into fruition due to the film being canceled in favor of Sony rebooting the franchise.
- ↑ "STAR WARS Star Mark Hamill Really Wanted To Play The Vulture In SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING". Comic Book Movie (July 19, 2017).
- ↑ "John Malkovich Confirms he was the Vulture in Sam Raimi’s SPIDER-MAN 4". Collider (April 16, 2010).