Waktu Rehat (Break Time), also known as As The Bell Rings Malaysia, is a Disney Channel Asia Original television series that premiered on August 31, 2010. It is based on Disney Channel Italy Original Series, Quelli dell'intervallo. The show follows on a group of Malaysian Lower Secondary School students from fictional SM Jalan Mas (Golden Road Secondary School) on the school hallway during recess.
The series premiered on August 31, 2010. The first episode, called "Durian Breath" or "Nafas Durian" was shown online on August 18, 2010 in Disney Channel Asia website & Disney Channel Asia's YouTube channel. The show currently airs every Saturday and Sunday on 11:50 am (MAL/PHIL). English Subtitles are available during each episode.
- Nik Adruce as Johan Hamzah (The School Sports Captain), he was the school sports captain, the captain of the red sport house and the football team. He loves to help friends and look for mischief together with his best friends Faiz and Syed. He is also Julie's older brother. He always wears a jacket (indicating that he is the school sports captain). He loves animals but suffers from severe blattodephobia, a fear of cockroaches. He has been transferred to a sports school in Season 2.
- Juzzthin as Syed (The Jokester), he is a 15 year old prankster who loves to play pranks onto his friends. He has a huge crush on Amirah. He is Johan and Faiz's best friend. He is also a rapper.
- Tengku Iezahdiyana Nurhanie Tengku Alaudin as Luna (The Earnest Problem Solver), her motto is "don't crumble when there's trouble". She is smart and resourceful, and possesses a fierce earnestness in helping people. She always wears jilbab or hijab. Her best friend is Amirah. She is the love interest of Anding, who desperately tries to win her heart.
- Farhanna Qismina as Julie Hamzah (The Smart Dreamer), she is a librarian and straight A student, a nerd and also in student council, who likes to read (especially teen fiction and romance) and always dreams about a prince that looks like Nick Jonas. She is Johan's younger sister. She often helps her friends and her brother, Johan. She is always clad in her school librarian uniform.
- Aedy Ashraf as Faiz (The Street Smart Shuffler), he is known as the school's street smart shuffler. He is reputed as "the person who can get whatever you want". His best friends are Syed and Johan. His catchphrase is, "time to disappear" whenever he wants to sneak away from trouble and escape from Wai Chong's influence. He wears a red jacket most of the time. In Season 2, Faiz have a new crush name G (A student from SM Bukit Gangsa) who is reputed to be more cunning than the mischievous Faiz. However in Season 3, after G is in love with another guy, Faiz decide to move on without her.
- Nurul Elfira Loy as Amirah Aminuddin (The School Belle), she is the most popular girl in school. Her best friend is Luna. She has a legion of fans in the school and receives an average of 20 fan mail messages daily. She is the love interest of Syed, who desperately tries to win her heart. In Season 2, she is the head cheerleader of SM Jalan Mas.
- Sharon Alaina Stephen as Kieran (The Tomboy), a tomboyish girl who does taekwondo. She hates girly clothes and prefers to wear tracksuits or a taekwondo uniform and a headband. She is Mindy's best friend. She is usually paired with Johan on sporting activities. Her catchphrase is saikk!/hee-ya! when she's doing her taekwondo moves. She is the new sports captain - the first girl to acquire the position in S.M. Jalan Mas, replacing Johan In Season 2.
- Cindy Alisha as Mindy (The Nosy Newshound), she was the chief writer for the school bulletin. She is usually seen with glasses and two ponytails. She has a camera and recorder with her at all times. She is Kieran's best friend. She is also known as a paparazzi as she produces gossip with the use of her camera and her recorder. Her catchphrase is sizzling news whenever she does a recording. She left the school in Season 2.
- Amirul Hakim as Anding (The Professor), he is usually seen wearing glasses and a sweater. He is the president of the astronomy club. He is the smartest in his grade and is possibly smarter than students two grades above him. He is easily pranked by Syed. He has a major crush on Luna and his best friend is Wai Chong.
- Nasiruddin Nasir as Suresh (The Food Connoisseur), he is a Malaysian Indian student who loves food except roti canai and can recognise any type of food in one bite. He is the only male student in home economics class. He also loves cooking just like his father.
- Nicholas Cheng as Wai Chong (The Prefect), he wears glasses and a jacket (indicating his role the head prefect of the school). He is a really great follower of the school rules and will not let anyone break them. His best friend is Anding. He is the head prefect in SM Jalan Mas, part of the student council, one of the best recognizable students for perfect attendance, and is the president of Anti-Dating club. His catchphrase is "Don't run!" when his friend tries to run away after he caught them disobeying the school rules.
- Ashmen Iskandar Weiss as Adam (The Musician), first appearance in Season 2. A musically inclined young lad who enjoys playing with his guitar who recently transferred to SM Jalan Mas. He is blessed with good looks and a charming personality, yet feels rather insecure about himself.
- Syuhaida Abraz as Rosie (The Super Confident Overachiever), first appearance in Season 3. She is a new student of the S.M. Jalan Mas, bubbly girl who wants to be the country's first female astronaut. Her infectious humour adds a new dimension to the series. She loves astronomy and Syed.
- The Principal - He is the principal of the S.M. Jalan Mas. He is never seen in the show nor the opening sequence, but his voice is sometimes heard. His head prefect, Wai Chong helps him give detentions to the students who break the rules.
- Ahmad Ezzrin Loy as Nik - He is usually seen in the corridor during the show, and it is revealed at the end of the episode "Brotherly Love" that he is Julie's boyfriend.
- Alam - A great shuffler who teaches Anding shuffling moves in return for Anding's help in his school science project in the episode "The Shuffle Champion". His tagline is "word" whenever he wanted to express his opinion.
- Pak Syukor - A ghostly spirit which believed to be the school guardian by some of the students. It is believed that he knows every answer for everything in the episode "Haunted Help".
- Tengku Iezahdiyana Nurhanie Tengku Alaudin as Lina - A cousin of Luna who appeared in the episode "Nice Luna, Naughty Luna". She is a member of the Girl Scouts, as indicated by her extracurricular uniform. It is revealed in that episode that she is rather mischievous compared to Luna.
- Atan bin Awang - A new student in the S.M. Jalan Mas in the episode "The Bully", who had been possibly transferred to the school due to his previous bad record. He had harassed most of the characters by beating some of them and writing slurs on their backs. He has a small squeaky tone of voice despite his sheer size.
- Atan's Mom - She was called to the principal's office due to her son's behaviour, possibly among the few people that Atan is afraid of.
- Juliana Evans as Azza - A possible new student of the S.M. Jalan Mas, which reported to be a part-model from London who had worked in the various international catwalk runaways and a cousin of Malaysian Teen idol, Juliana Evans.
- Dafi as Azahari - A handsome new student in the S.M. Jalan Mas, which Amirah, Luna and Mindy were excited upon seeing him by the end of the episode, "Gossip".
- Sara Ali As G - A student from SM Bukit Gangsa, who is reputed to be more cunning than the mischievous Faiz. She is Faiz's first love interest until Season 3, where it is revealed that G is in love with another guy. However despite that, she is still happy.
- Azlan Iskandar as Himself - A Guy is Champion of squash and helps SMK Jalan Mas win Tennis Competition.
- Naz as Himself - The Host of Pelajar Ikon and hosts in SMK Jalan Mas.
- Adibah Noor as Herself - She is Rosie's aunt who helps Faiz in forgetting the bad problems. She usually forgets her own problems by singing. She appeared in the episode "Faiz Gets His Groove Back".
- Azurah Aminuddin - The sister of Amirah who appears in the episode The Magical Watch.
- Sekolah Menengah Jalan Mas (Golden Road Secondary School), or S.M. Jalan Mas - The secondary school where all of the characters attend.
- S.M. Jalan Mas school corridor - Adopting most of the As the Bell Rings series, the show revolves mainly around the school main corridor. It features the school motto "Bersatu Padu ke Arah Kejayaan" (Unity towards Excellence) as the backdrop and a replica of Petronas Twin Towers on the middle of the corridor. The school's main corridor is facing towards the school fish pond and the Principal's office.
Theme song and opening sequence
The show theme song "Waktu Rehat", is adopted and translated to Malay from the original Italian version (which is also used by most of the international version of the series) and was performed by the cast themselves.
The opening title sequence of the series begins by the main characters introducing themselves, this was followed by a scenario where the characters are bored in a comical drawn classroom and waiting for recess to arrive. As the school bell finally rings to mark recess, the characters dances cheerfully. The sequence ends when the characters taking the class photo and the title logo is featured.
Tak Sabar Kami Menanti
We Just Can't Wait Any Longer
The Challenge is a game set by the characters, which serves as a mini-episodes on the series.
- "Shuffle challenge" by Faiz
- "Durian eating challenge" by Kieran
- "Thumb wrestling challenge" by Mindy
- "Cake decorating challenge" by Anding
- "Pantun challenge" by Luna
- "Make-up challenge" by Amirah
- "Rapping challenge" by Syed
- "Impersonations challenge" by Wai Chong
The Mystery Files
- "Where's Julie" The spirit is guilty = Julie was missing
- "The Missing Sodium" Luna is guilty = Anding lost his sodium
- "Deadly Durian" Amirah is guilty = Kieran fainted after smelling some durian
- "Zombie Prank" Adam is guilty = The toilet had a zombie
- "Guitar String" Wai Chong is guilty = Adam's guitar string was broken
- "Moustache" Julie is guilty = Kieran grew a moustache
- "Apple Crumble" Amirah is guilty = Suresh's apple crumble became spicy
- "Missing Sandwich" Syed is guilty = Wai Chong lost his sandwich
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||16||August 31, 2010||December 25, 2010|
|2||21||March 12, 2011||September 14, 2011|
|3||21||March 10, 2012||July 21, 2012|
Below are the seasonal rankings (based on average total viewers per episode) of Waktu Rehat on Disney Channel Asia.
|Season||Timeslot||Season premiere||Season finale|| Viewers|
|1||Saturday – Sunday at 12 pm (Mal/Phil)||August 31, 2010||December 25, 2010||2.08|
|2||March 12, 2011||September 14, 2011||5.09|
|3||Saturday – Sunday at 11:45 am (Mal/Phil)||March 10, 2012||Present|
It is revealed in "Behind the Scenes of Waktu Rehat by Nicholas Cheng who played Wai Chong that there are 54,321 rules enumerated in the Rule Book of SM Jalan Mas.
- 115B - No eating anywhere but the canteen.
- 12A Paragraph 5 - Setting
- 633C Paragraph 10 -No shuffling in the School corridors.
- 75F A rubber snake without a License.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Waktu Rehat. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Disney Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|