Walt Disney Pictures was established as a division of Walt Disney Productions on April 1, 1983, and the first film to bear the "Walt Disney Pictures" banner was Never Cry Wolf. Prior to that, "Walt Disney Productions" was the credit used for the company's live action films.
Although the banner maintains a family friendly image, generally releasing G and PG rated films, some of the films under the Walt Disney Pictures banner got a PG-13 rating from the MPA:
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- John Carter (2012)
- The Lone Ranger (2013)
- Saving Mr. Banks (2013)
- The Finest Hours (2016)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
- Hamilton (2020)
- Mulan (2020)
Four of the five highest grossing movies from Disney have Johnny Depp in a major role.
- Walt Disney Pictures logo
- List of Disney feature films for both live-action and animated films released under the Disney label
- List of Disney animated features for the traditional animated "Disney movies".