"Welcome Home" is the first segment of the eighth episode of Big City Greens (though it is the first episode in the series' chronology).
How Cricket, Tilly, and their dad move from the country to the big city is revealed.
Before the start of the series, Cricket, Tilly and Bill Green are traveling to Big City to live with Gramma Alice following them losing the farm back in the country. Bill is nervous about the change in venue, but Cricket claims that he is an expert on the city (having "flipped through a book once") and that he can navigate around the new environment. Upon arriving, Cricket and Tilly beg to get out of the car to check the local sights. Despite Bill telling them to stay, the kids escape and encounter a street vendor giving out free energy drinks and a diseased bird that is bombarded with more birds after Tilly tries feeding them crumbs. Due to the complicated signs in Big City, Bill's truck gets towed, leaving the Greens stranded.
They begin traveling around Big City by first learning how to cross the street where they end up standing in the middle of traffic. They then have a very scary encounter with a homeless man and his van. After avoiding going into the sewer, the Greens get on a bus. They are immediately freaked out by the "weirdos" on the bus and are finally frightened off when they see a hoodie infested with rats. With nowhere else to go, the Greens rest underneath a bridge. Bill believes that Big City is just not for them, but Cricket realizes that they do not need to know much about Big City and that they just need to stick together. They suddenly spot another car getting towed and realize that they must follow the truck.
The Greens make it to the Big City Towing and find their truck, but are soon accosted by a trio of guard dogs. Cricket realizes that they know enough about the city to fight back and distract the dogs with car lights. He then tosses two cans of the energy drink as if they were grenades and has Tilly toss more crumbs to get pigeons to distract them. The family get to the truck and break out where as they drive into the heart of Big City, witness the the bright lights and its beauty. They make it to Alice's house and upon entering find her lying on the floor and are horrified. However, this ends up being a ruse as Alice was upset that they came late. The family then hug as Alice happily welcomes them.
- Chris Houghton as Cricket Green
- Marieve Herington as Tilly Green
- Bob Joles as Bill Green
- Artemis Pebdani as Gramma Alice
- This episode chronologically takes place before "Space Chicken" and for that matter, sets up the entire premise of the series.
- This episode is the first time, Bill mentions how he lost his finger: it got cut off from a hay baler accident.
- This episode reveals that Gramma Alice had been living in Big City longer than her family and, as revealed in "Tilly Tour", has witnessed the city grow before her eyes.
- When Cricket peeks into the sewer, he spots an alligator. This is based on the longtime myth that alligators had at one point infested the sewers of New York City.
- Moral: Though you may be someplace different, there are a few things you can still do there.