"When I Am Older" is a song sung by Olaf in Disney's 2019 animated feature film, Frozen II. The song is about Olaf's belief that though he is scared of the things in the Enchanted Forest, he'll realize that they weren't so scary once he's older.
According to Dan Abraham, who was the story artist of the sequel, the way the Elemental Spirits interact confuses Oaf, for he did not know whether to be scared of them. The spirits were observing him, not attacking him as many fans speculated. This leads Olaf to believe that everything that happens around him will make sense when he is older.
What was that? Samantha?
This will all make sense when I am older
Someday I will see that this makes sense
One day when I'm old and wise
I'll think back and realize
That these were all completely normal events
I'll have all the answers when I'm older
Like why we're in this dark, enchanted wood
I know in a couple years
These will seem like childish fears
So I know this isn't bad, it's good
Growing up means adapting
Puzzling at your world and your place
When I'm more mature
I'll feel totally secure
Being watched by something with a creepy, creepy face
See, that will all make sense when I am older
So there's no need to be terrified or tense
I'll just dream about a time
When I'm in my aged prime
'Cause when you're older
Absolutely everything makes sense
This is fine.
- At the beginning of the song, Olaf references a "Samantha." However, prior to the song, he admits to not actually knowing anyone named Samantha and that, scared, he simply said a name at random. This bit was improvised by Olaf's voice actor, Josh Gad.
- In the middle of the song, Olaf passes by a multitude of unknown hidden creatures staring at him with scary red eyes and sharp teeth before walking away quickly. This was a deliberate gag to the forest scene from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
- "Josh Gad - When I Am Older (From "Frozen 2: First Listen")". YouTube. Retrieved on September 30, 2019.
- "'Frozen 2' Soundtrack Features Seven New Songs, End-Credits Cuts From Kacey Musgraves & Weezer". billboard. Retrieved on September 30, 2019.
- The Art of Frozen II, pg. 52
- Libbey, Dirk (December 2, 2019). "One Funny Frozen II Scene That Was Actually Improv, According To Josh Gad". Cinema Blend. Retrieved on December 3, 2019.