The Wilhelm scream ("Aaagh!") is a scream sound effect which was introduced in the 1951 western Distant Drums, a Warner Bros. film. It is often used as an audio in-joke in various works, including many animated films produced by Disney, as well as several Lucasfilm productions prior to Disney's acquisition of the company.
Films and shorts
- Beauty and the Beast (1991) - Heard during the battle between the villagers and the enchanted servants in the Castle shortly after Chip saves Maurice and Belle.
- Aladdin (1992) - Heard when Genie raises the Sultan's palace while being controlled by Jafar.
- Runaway Brain (1995) - During Mickey's video game when Dopey is defeated by the Witch boss.
- A Goofy Movie (1995) -Heard Twice; During "On the Open Road" when Goofy drives into a construction site. Later, during the Powerline concert when the floor director is thrown into the giant viewscreen while chasing after Max Goof.
- Hercules (1997) - Heard when the Cyclops arrives at Thebes.
- The Kid (2000)
- The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000) - Heard by one of the sailors when an iceberg falls onto Prince Eric's sailing ship.
- Pirates of the Caribbean - Heard in every film.
- Enchanted (2007) - Heard from a man falling backwards when Narissa transforms into a dragon. (A Goofy holler can be heard at the same time.)
- Bolt (2008) - Heard offscreen on an A-Team episode involving BA Barcus while Rhino is flipping through channels.
- Princess Protection Program (2009)
- Tron: Legacy (2010) - Heard in the End of Line club and the Rectifier.
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018) - Heard when Clara and her army are running away from the Mouse King and one of them is dragged into the ground.
- Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) - Heard from a stormtrooper when he gets dragged away by a buggy that transports to BuzzTube.
- Kim Possible (2019) - Heard when Kim throws a henchman over the railings onto Professor Dementor.
- Aladdin (2019) - Heard when someone screams off-screen after Aladdin's first Prince Ali outfit is revealed.
- Toy Story (1995) - When Buzz Lightyear gets pushed out the window by a lamp.
- Cars (2006) - When a car gets zapped by a laser during Lightning McQueen's daydream of being sponsored by Dinoco. (Low pitched.)
- Your Friend the Rat (2007) - When an astronaut gets frightened by a rat during the song "Plan B".
- Lifted (2007) - When Ernie falls off the crater after the credits.
- Up (2009) - When the dogs are falling off a cliff while attempting to chase Carl Fredricksen and Russell with Kevin.
- George and A.J. (2009) - Heard when one of the houses burrows down.
- Day & Night (2010) - During the movie scene when the cowboy shoots a man off-screen.
- Toy Story 3 (2010) - During the opening scene, while Andy and his toys are watching a "scary movie" during the "You've Got a Friend in Me" sequence.
- Cars 2 (2011) - When the cars in the Ye Left Turn Inn beat Grem and Acer up.
- The Legend of Mor'du (2012) - When Mor'du throws down soldiers from a rock.
- Monsters University (2013) - When Mike unknowingly runs over a student with the floor waxer.
- The Radiator Springs 500½ (2014) - When the Baja pros fall down a cliff while chasing McQueen.
- Toy Story 4 (2019) - Heard once in the pinball machine.
The Wilhelm scream is played at least once in every Star Wars movie, both before and after the Walt Disney Company's acquisition of the franchise.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - Heard during Finn and Poe Dameron's escape from the First Order. So far, this is the last Star Wars movie to have the sound effect.
- Good Luck Charlie, It's Christmas! (2011) - Heard during the paintball war.
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - Heard when Iron Man blows Ebony Maw out of an opened gap, albeit at low volume.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 - 2020) - heard in five episodes.
- Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil (2010) - Used more than once.
- Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja (2012) - Used in several episodes, such as "Gossip Boy" and "Pranks for Nothing".
- Wander Over Yonder (2013) - Scream heard once when Lord Hater's army faces off against Emperor Awesome's army in "The Picnic". It is heard again in "The Heebie Jeebies", coming from a bird that was referred to as a Wilhelm warbler.
- Star Wars Rebels (2014) - Screamed during the pilot episode by a Stormtrooper.
- Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero (2015) - Heard once in every episode.
- Sofia the First (2015) - Heard in the episode "New Genie on the Block" when Sofia runs into people on the police carpet while chasing Kazeem.
- Future-Worm! (2016) - Heard in the episode "Future Danny and the Ghost Pirates of Tau Ceti".
- Amphibia (2019) - Heard in the episode "Prison Break" when the heroes are attacking Toad Tower.
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue - when a Scout Trooper crashes into a branch on his speeder bike.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance - when a Stormtrooper is shot.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Pixar Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with Disney Wiki, the text of the Pixar Wiki is available under the CC-BY-SA license.|