Smith is best known for his television role as a fictionalized version of himself on the NBC sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from 1990 to 1996. He has ultimately starred in numerous blockbuster films, including Bad Boys and its 2003 sequel, Independence Day, the Men in Black franchise, Ali, I, Robot, Hitch, The Pursuit of Happyness, I Am Legend, Hancock, Seven Pounds, and After Earth. He also received Academy Award for Best Actor nominations for his roles in Ali and The Pursuit of Happyness. Additionally, he notably voiced Oscar, the protagonist of DreamWorks' Shark Tale.
For Disney, he played Robert Clayton Dean in the 1998 spy-thriller film, Enemy of the State. He also made an appearance in Disneyland's 35th Anniversary Celebration and the 2004 Miramax film Jersey Girl. He was mentioned in the Jonas L.A. episode "Wrong Song". He portrayed the Genie in the 2019 live-action adaptation of Aladdin, and will voice Lance Sterling in Fox/Blue Sky Studios' Spies in Disguise.
- Smith was originally in talks for the role of Captain America in Captain America: The First Avenger, but in the end, Chris Evans was cast instead.
- He was originally offered the role of Holt Farrier in Dumbo but decided to star in Aladdin instead.
- ↑ "Will Smith cast as Genie, but no sign of Aladdin in live-action remake". entertainment.ie. (July 12, 2017)
- ↑ A Complete List of All the Actors Originally Considered for Roles in the Marvel Universe at Pajiba
- ↑ Fleming Jr, Mike (February 10, 2017). "'Dumbo’ A No-Go For Will Smith", Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved on March 31, 2019.