Winkie Country is the western quadrant of the Land of Oz populated by the Winkies in L. Frank Baum’s novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
In the prequel, Winkie Country is where Oscar Diggs ends up after getting sucked into a tornado. His balloon flies over Winkie Peaks and down a huge waterfall and into the Whimsie Woods. He meets Theodora who tells him he is in Oz. After they hear a screech, they run to a small cave to hide from the Winged Baboons. The next day, they travel down a sunflower-lined path to a small wood. They find Finley panicking because he is tangled in vines and about the eaten by the Cowardly Lion. Oscar sets him free and scares the lion away by causing an explosion of smoke, turning him into a coward. Eventually the reach the Yellow Brick Road and find Knuck and a group of Winkies waiting for Theodora. By cart, they travel to the Emerald City
A few days later, Glinda causes a fog in the Poppy Fields. Scarecrows posed as an army are pulled down the fields and are used as a distraction for the Winged Baboons.
The Winkie Peaks are located in the north of the country, near Ugabu. The are a vast collection of towering rock formations, many in odd shapes. Oscar's balloon passed through them when he arrived in Oz, but then it began to descend. It fell down a waterfall into a pool, full of large and colorful flowers. Many of them made music. Oscar, believing the pool was deep, began to panic thinking he drowning. He then saw Theodora emerge out of the trees. A group of River Fairies fly out of the water and bite him.
The Whimsie Woods rest at the bottom of the peaks on many natural forming bridges. They are shown to be lush and tropical, full of colorful flowers and plants and gushing waterfalls. Oscar and Theodora run from a baboon and cause one of the land bridges to break when crossing it. They then hide in a cave under a waterfall. After Oscar lures the Baboon with a dove, they spend the night in the woods before continuing on the Emerald City.
After Oz and Theodora leave the woods, they travel through a vast sunflower field on their way to the Emerald City. Soon the enter a forest where they find Finley, a winged monkey, trapped in vines. Oscar mishears him, thinking he said the vines are going to eat him, when he really says the Lion. The Lion charges at Oscar, but he is scared away when Oscar makes a cloud of red smoke appear before him. The turns him into the Cowardly Lion. Oscar reluctantly allows Finley to come with him and Theodora to the Emerald City.
Enchanted Forest/Poppy Fields
The tall pine trees of the forest lie at the edge of the Poppy Fields, near the Emerald City. Glinda, the Munchkins, Quadlings, and Tinkers launched their attack on the Emerald City in the forest. First Glinda summoned a thick layer of smoke and sent it over the poppies. Then they sent scarecrows that appeared to be soldiers across the field. The Flying Baboons were ordered by Evanora to attack the scarecrows believing they wear people, but most of them fell asleep when they breathed in the poppies' scent. Those who realized that they wear scarecrows in time managed to escape. After her plan failed, Evanora flew down to the forest and took Glinda to the Emerald City where she was to be executed.
Flora and Fauna
- Giant Flowers and Plants - colorful plants that make music, with wind or water droplets
- Colorful flowers - many can be seen around the country
- Reeds - curly reeds can be seen in Whimsie Woods
- Red trees - a few trees in Whimsie Woods have red leaves
- Sunflowers - there is vast field of sunflowers
- Vine pumpkins - tiny pumpkins grow on vines in the wood Finley got trapped in
- Pine trees - the Enchanted Forest is mostly made up of pine trees
- Poppies - red, blue and yellow poisonous poppies surround the Emerald City
Animals and Inhabitants
- Winkies - yellow skinned inhabitants of they who are mostly guards of the Emerald City
- Pink butterflies - many butterflies can be seen flying in Whimsie Woods and the Sunflowers fields. It appears the make chirping and thrilling like noises
- Flying-Kingfisher fish - these colorful birds have the appearance of Kingfishers but are shown to also dwell underwater
- River fairies - small, sharp teethed, pink scaled creatures that live in the pools of Whimsie Woods
- Winged monkeys - different from the Flying Baboons. the only known winged monkey is finley. His wings are more like those of a bird or angel, unlike the Baboons
Dorothy's house lands in the west instead of the east and is discovered by Zelena and Glinda. When Mulan needs poppies to make sleeping powder, Dorothy and Ruby decide to go get some from the Poppy Fields in Zelena's dominion. Eventually, they arrive there but are attacked by Flying Monkeys, so they run away.