This article is about The Mandarin. For other characters who use the same title, see The Mandarin (disambiguation).
- “He was a warrior king. He inspired generations of men through the Middle Ages; Perhaps even further back in time.”
- ―Jackson Norriss on the history of The Mandarin[src]
Xu Wenwu is the legendary leader of the Ten Rings, and a villain from Marvel Comics, Approximately 1000 years ago, Wenwu found ten powerful rings, which allow him to cast blasts of energy and granted him immortality, inspired by these rings, he named his organization the Ten Rings.
Xu Wenwu is a composite character, based on the Mandarin, who was created by Stan Lee and Don Heck, Fu Manchu, who was created by Sax Rohmer, and Zheng Zu, who was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin.
The Mandarin is mentioned in this short.
Xu Wenwu appears as the main antagonist, portrayed by Tony Leung Chiu-Wai.
The Mandarin has a brief cameo in "The Breakout" among the escaped prisoners.
- In the novelization of Iron Man, Raza claims he is wearing one of the Mandarin's rings. This may suggest a mark of leadership to all of the lieutenants in the Ten Rings hierarchy.
- The Ten Rings terrorist group in the original Iron Man is a reference to the magic rings the Mandarin possesses in the comics.
- In the comics, Shang-Chi's father was Fu Manchu. This was changed due to the racist connotations of the character, as well as legal red tape preventing Fu Manchu from being used.
- In the comics the Ten Rings were worn on each of the Mandarin's fingers and each possessed their own special power. This was changed in the Shang-Chi film by producer Jonathan Schwartz to avoid any comparison or similarity to the Infinity Gauntlet as the Infinity Stones play a similar role. Instead they are worn on his wrists based on the Hung Gar's Iron Rings as a reference to Chinese culture in order to re-enforce the image of the film as a martial arts film.
- It's unknown if Wenwu was "blipped".
- Xu Wenwu at Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki
- Xu Wenwu at Marvel Movies Wiki
- Xu Wenwu at Marvel Wiki