Elena is a colombian inhuman who can move at superhuman speeds for a beat of her heart, before returning to the point she started moving from. She comes into contact with S.H.I.E.L.D. when they investigate her for stealing weapons from the corrupt members of the National Police of Colombia. She grows close to Mack, who nicknames her "Yo-Yo", and eventually agrees to join the Secret Warriors.
Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez never likes to find herself standing still, but when the rest of the S.H.I.E.L.D. team was stuck inside the virtual reality world of the Framework, Yo-Yo was forced to keep the Zephyr One in the air, ensuring the survival of S.H.I.E.L.D. from the pursuit of the Russian villain Ivanov. After the team escaped without Mack, Yo-Yo went into the collapsing Framework to save his life, but once inside, Mack couldn't remember who she was and refused to leave his daughter Hope. Yo-Yo decided that she would stay and die then too. After Hope's virtual avatar disappeared, Yo-Yo managed to get her and Mack out of the collapsing Framework and into the real world, saving both of their lives, and their future together.
Powers and Abilities
Elena Rodriguez is an Inhuman who achieved her genetic potential after undergoing Terrigenesis and gained superhuman powers.
- Superhuman Speed: Rodriguez gained the power to run and move at least 180 meters per second, being unable to be clearly noticed by the human eye and appearing as a blur. Her super speed lasts exactly the same amount of time as one of her heartbeats; after which she retrogrades back to her original position, which happens regardless of her state, as she snapped back even after being affected by Lucio's paralyzing gaze. She used this speed to disarm and kidnap Alphonso Mackenzie and also to disarm several corrupt Colombian police, subdue HYDRA soldiers, and to snag General Talbot's medals in a split second. Rodriguez cannot be seen on security cameras and she just seems to move forward slightly which is followed by what seems to be a glitch. Rodriguez can run faster than a bolt fired from the Peruvian 0-8-4. However, she is not fast enough to catch bullets, as her attempt to do so caused her to be shot by Primitives. She is also not fast enough to outrun a cesium explosion, though she was able to avoid being engulfed completely.
- Increased Metabolism: Related to her speed, Rodriguez has an increased metabolism which causes her to bleed faster than an average human. When Rodriguez was shot, she bled at an alarming rate; Mackenzie cauterized her wound to stop the excessive flow.
- Accelerated Perception: When Rodriguez runs, she seems to be able to see her surroundings move in a slowed down state due to her superhuman speed.
- Elastic Rebound: Befitting her nickname, she yo-yos back to where the originally came from. However, thanks to the help of Jiaying in an alternate 1980s, Elena learned this was due to subconscious mental block due to a traumatic event in her life; thanks to extensive mediation, Elena made peace with it and can now run like Quicksilver.
- Artificial Arms: Elena needed custom prosthetics to withstand her speed or else they would lock up and induce a painful nerve reaction.
- Multilingualism: Rodriguez speaks her native Spanish and English, albeit, with a Spanish accent.