"You Can't Always Get What You Carpet" is the sixth episode of the first season of Wizards of Waverly Place.
Alex stumbles upon Jerry's old magic carpet and convinces him to give her flying lessons. Having treated Alex as his little girl all her life, he does not want her to grow up and gets impatient while teaching her how to fly. When Alex flies into a building, Jerry gets very mad and says she is not yet ready for lessons. Alex asks Justin to help her, and Justin decides to help her and gives her lessons. Jerry gives Alex another shot at lessons and while they are riding Jerry notices that Alex has improved.
- Jerry mentioned Justin's age of 18 when Justin told him it was 16. At the time, the actor David Henrie was 18.
- This is the last episode in broadcast order to use the FilmLook image processing; it was dropped after the production of "First Kiss" (which was already broadcast), likely due to its incompatibility with the visual effects in the series. Until the second season finale "Retest", the video frame rate was at 50 frames per second.
- This is the only episode of the series to feature outtakes during the tag scene. Two different outtakes were seen in the tag scene during the end credits, both of which feature an introduction by Selena Gomez. Both outtakes are from the scene at the end of Act I in which Jerry (David DeLuise) teaches Alex (Gomez) to fly a magic carpet.
- Earlier broadcasts of this episode featured an outtake in which the magic carpet setup overturns and Selena and David supposedly fall over with it. Later broadcasts replaced this with an outtake from the same scene where Alex and Jerry scream as the carpet goes out of control.
Absent: Jennifer Stone as Harper Finkle
- This episode is a pun on the song “you can’t always get what you want”.