Luz's skills as a witch are put to the test when she attempts the impossible.
After King reads about the history of the Boiling Isles from the point of possession of Emperor Belos and creation of the coven system, he and Luz prepare to rescue Eda, with Luz wearing the cloak that Eda had previously made for her.
Meanwhile, in the Emperor's Castle, Lilith tries to subdue a fully cursed Eda before Belos appears and subdues her, bringing out her sapience that they might have words. As he addresses her by her titles, especially her being Luz's mentor, she warns him to stay away from her protege. However, Belos is more interested in the portal to the Human Realm, and and sends her away when she refused to cooperate. To Lilith's disappointment, Belos claims it to be the titan's will that Eda be sentenced to be petrified instead of healing her curse. As the emperor takes his leave, he orders Lilith to destroy Eda's staff.
While Gus and Willow broke the news of Eda's petrification, Luz and King purposely allow themselves to be arrested and sent to the Conformatorium. They are received by Warden Wrath, who is eager for revenge against Luz, only to be quickly overpowered by plant and ice magic and intimidated into drawing Luz a map to Eda's cell. When he later gets free, he informs Kikimora, who is disappointed by his failure, so Lilith volunteers to capture the human.
Upon reaching Eda's cell, King stands guard while Luz enters inside, restoring Eda's sapience with a Light Spell. She then tries to break her chains with a Fire Spell but her magic isn't strong enough. Eda urges her to leave, admitting that she has to face the consequences for defying Belos' law. She give her the key to the portal door and urges Luz to return home and destroy the portal. After Eda being taken, Luz ignores Lilith's intentions to talk and confronts her, making them and King cross the portal to the Human Realm. As they struggle, when Luz declares that Lilith deserves to be petrified in Eda's place, surprisingly, Lilith agrees with her. Lilith finally reveals her real motivations behind Eda's curse.
Lilith and Eda used to be very close when they were younger, and that they both wanted to sign up for the Emperor's Coven to make the world a better place, even though Lilith was not so perfect in her skills compared to Eda. After growing up, Eda and Lilith sign up for the Emperor's Coven, which revealed to have only one spot that would be contested by both in a duel. Afraid of being beaten by Eda, Lilith casts a curse obtained from the Night Market that would turn Eda into a monster for a day. However, on the day of the duel, Eda forfeited, but as she walked away, transformed into an owl monster booed by everyone, making Lilith the winner and newest member of the Emperor's Coven. After Luz understands Lilith's situation, she gets Eda's staff, and both her and King return to the Demon Realm.
Meanwhile, Willow and Gus convince everyone to protest in defense of Eda's petrification that was in progress. Back inside the castle, Luz, King and Lilith attempt to reach Eda only to be ambushed by Emperor Belos, who sends the last two to be petrified besides Eda. Luz starts a fight against Emperor Belos, who finally ends with her by throwing an Ice Glyph that hits the right side of Belos' mask. Though he compliments her spirit, he cautions her against attempting another sneak attack. He then states that he's just a humble messenger for the titan and that Eda's fate is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, until Luz's arrival changed everything. He offers a trade: Eda's life for the portal. He assures her he's not plotting an invasion of the Human Realm, claiming the titan's will was not so "boorish". With no decision to make, considering that Eda's petrification started at that moment, Luz hands Belos the portal door, but eventually burns it on the way out to the ceremony, much to Belos' wrath.
Luz was able to stop the petrification process, as well as free Eda, King and Lilith, who escape, while Emperor Belos later announces and confronts the inhabitants of Boiling Isles about Eda's curse going to strip away her powers. Returning to the Owl House, Lilith mourns for her sister and casts a spell that shares Eda's curse with her, which causes the weakening of their powers, although Luz comforts Eda about teaching her to learn how to do spells the same way she does. At the end of the day, Luz makes a video for her mother about finding a new way back home. Meanwhile, Emperor Belos, at the same time enlists someone to watch the Owl House, reconstructs the portal door with technological features, such as the Day of Unity is approaching.
- Sarah-Nicole Robles as Luz Noceda
- Wendie Malick as Eda Clawthorne
- Alex Hirsch as King
- Isaac Ryan Brown as Gus Porter
- Tati Gabrielle as Willow Park
- Cissy Jones as Lilith Clawthorne
- Abigail Zoe Lewis as young Lilith
- Mela Lee as Kikimora
- Bumper Robinson as Principal Bump
- Matthew Rhys as Emperor Belos
- Shannon McKain as Morton
- The production code is 120, meaning that one more episode was produced during the production of the first season of the show.
- On the book the unauthorized Boiling Isles History by unknown author, the nineteenth code is revealed to be "blood".
- Luz burns down the portal door, thus preventing her from returning to Earth. However, Emperor Belos reconstructed it.
- After sharing the curse, Eda and Lilith now each have a discolored eye and a white streak.
- Lilith moves into The Owl House in the end.
- When Luz and Lilith enter the Human Realm or rather Earth, it's the same place where the old rundown house in the woods from the first episode in the series, its possibility that the old rundown house have connection between the two worlds.
- Emperor Belos reveals he needs the portal to the Human Realm, but he says he does not plan invading it, but something for "the Day of Unity".
- It's possible he's trying to unite the Boiling Isles with Earth; possibly they used to be part of the same reality.
- During Lilith's flashback, when Eda turns into the Owl Beast for the first time, the crowd starts to mock and boo her as the Emperor's Guards throw her some rocks. This is somewhat similar to the "Feast of Fools" scene in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Amity has a non-speaking role in this episode.
- Luz speaks Spanish for the fourth time in this episode, followed by "A Lying Witch and a Warden", "Hooty's Moving Hassle", and "Enchanting Grom Fright".
- "Deja una luz puesta para mi, te quiero." translation "Leave on a light for me, I love you."
- Young Eda and young Lilith are both voiced by Abigail Zoe Lewis.
- This is the third episode where Hooty did not appear, following "Covention" and "The First Day".
- The theme song is not featured in this episode.
- Starting with this episode, in the credits, Eda's appearance has changed to reflect her new appearance.
- Pre-teen Eda's voice actress Natalie Palamides voiced Foolduke from Star vs. the Forces of Evil.
- This was the final episode of a Disney TV series to premiere on Disney Channel in the UK, prior to its shutdown at the end of September 2020.
- September 3, 2020 (United Kingdom)
- September 20, 2020 (Canada)
- October 19, 2020 (South Korea)
- October 30, 2020 (Germany)
- December 3, 2020 (Netherlands)
- December 18, 2020 (Southeast Asia)
- February 5, 2021 (Italy, Switzerland; Premiere on Disney+)
- February 26, 2021 (Latin America)
- March 21, 2021 (Switzerland; Disney Channel)