In Corona myth, Zhan Tiri was a powerful demonic being from another realm who unleashed an all-consuming blizzard on the kingdom that threatened to destroy everything in its path. The only one who was able to stop the warlock was a man named Lord Demanitus. Using magic and science, Demanitus built a device strong enough to change the storm back into the direction of Zhan Tiri to imprison Zhan Tiri and his disciples (Ms. Sugarby, Matthews and Mother Gothel), saving Corona from the warlock's wrath. But Zhan Tiri's defeat did not leave him abated; his magic storm remained in Corona as a curse that waited for Corona to be at its weakest and strike again.
Role in the series
Zhan Tiri was the subject of the episode "Queen for a Day", where the storm curse he had cast long ago had returned to reclaim Corona, though the disaster was ultimately averted by Rapunzel. His storm's story was told to the people of Corona by Xavier, as he hinted and show Rapunzel and Cassandra the device that stopped it.
Zhan Tiri's presence became known in the episode "Painter's Block", in which one of Zhan Tiri's spirit allies, Sugracha the Eternel, managed to escape their prison, and formed a plan to free him as well. Zhan Tiri was close to being freed, until Rapunzel, whom Sugracha had under her spell, broke free from it and made sure that her master would remain in his prison.
Zhan Tiri is mentioned in "Rapunzel and the Great Tree". As told by Adira, Zhan Tiri took over and corrupted the Great Tree, taking it as his fortress to destroy all who approached. Ultimately, Lord Dermanitis put a stop to Zhan Tiri's reign with a magic spear that rendered the evil magic in the Great Tree dormant.
In "You're Kidding Me!", one of Zhan Tiri's disciples, Matthews, later revealed in "Rapunzeltopia" to be Tromus, vows to keep the Sun Drop (Rapunzel) trapped within the House of Yesterday's Tomorrow forever. Subsequently, Tromus traps Rapunzel in a dream world where she never touched the black rocks, with the intent of ensuring that she accepts the illusion, all the while transferring the Sun Drop's power to Zhan Tiri, personified by a eerie statue. However, Rapunzel is able to break free of the dream world, causing Tromus and the House of Yesterday's Tomorrow to vanish into oblivion, once again thwarting Zhan Tiri.
- A small model of Zhan Tiri is seen in "Keeper of the Spire", as one of the museums' exhibits.
- it has been suspected that Zhan Tiri is the one who created the Healing and Reverse Incantation since he is the one who took over the tree and the Reverse Incantation was inside the tree, this would also explain how Mother Gothel managed to get her hands on the Healing Incantation since it has been heavily implied that she was once a servant of Zhan Tiri.
- this has caused further suspicions that he is somehow connected to the Sun Drop and Moonstone.
- it has also been suspected that Zhan Tiri was behind Cassandra's fall to evil.
- it's heavily implied that Zhan Tiri was the one that gave Tromus and Sugracha the Eternal there powers when the betrayed Demanitus suggesting there might have been some deal involved
- although it's unknown why Mother Gothel doesn't have these powers by the time of the movie