Every schoolbook photo to date has turned out bad for Pepper Ann. This year she is determined to get a good photo.
Unfortunately, she gets a pimple the day before it's time to take the picture, and she's too embarrassed to buy pimple cream.
Pepper Ann happily tells her friends Milo Kamalani and Nicky Little that she is prepared for this year's yearbook photo after having multiple failures in the past. Hazelnut Middle School principal Mr. Hickey confronts Pepper Ann about the upcoming photos and warns her that they are of the utmost importance. When Pinkeye Pete arrives, Pepper Ann fearfully runs to the bathroom (despite him not actually touching her) and suddenly notices to her horror that she has a pimple on her forehead. While Milo and Nicky have trouble seeing it, Pepper Ann is mortified and asks for help, but both have other matters to attend to. Thankfully, Pepper Ann has until tomorrow to figure out how to get rid of her pimple.
Pepper Ann is forced to go to Abe's Mall (the "Abys-Mal") to get pimple cream which is considered an unpopular shopping place. Her mother, Lydia, refuses to go, as she wants to finish her fashion photos, while her sister, Moose, and her aunt, Janie, both refuse to go for one reason or another and she ends up flipping a penny to decide. Pepper Ann walks the streets where she encounters Trinket St. Blair, Cissy Rooney, Tessa and Vanessa James, her uncle JoJo and various other people and creatures who apparently ask "where are you going?" though it is implied that she is imagining the majority of it. She finally gets to Abe's Mall where she hurriedly buys all of her things and flees back home where she happily applies the cream to her forehead. Her pimple miraculously disappears.
The next day, however, Mr. Hickey sadly tells the students that the second half of yearbook photos will not be taken due to Pinkeye Pete having given the photographer pinkeye. He desperately tries to call a new photographer so that he can get another Yearbook photo award. While in class, Pepper Ann's enthusiastic math teacher Ms. Stark, explains to the students about Abe's Mall and inadvertently reveals that Pepper Ann was there. The whole class begins laughing at her, or at least Pepper Ann thinks they are, before loudly admitting that she liked being there and that the prices were amazing, though her friends calm her down. Later, Pepper Ann sees Abe's Mall is the subject of a pop culture report as it is the hang out of rock band Flaming Snot. She is clearly seen in the background much to her displeasure.
Mr. Hickey exhausts every avenue and gets inspired to head to the mall to steal a photo booth, but while there ends up seeing Lydia's photos at the fashion boutique and hires her. The next day, Pepper Ann and her friends enter the gymnasium to get their photos taken and are surprised to see all of their friends including Pepper Ann's crush, Craig Bean, commenting on her sudden fashion status from the report. As Pepper Ann sits to get her photo taken, she is shocked to see that her mother is the photographer, scaring her and unintentionally giving her a goofy face. Mr. Hickey laments that he was unable to get the award for this year because of her.
- Kathleen Wilhoite as Pepper Ann Pearson
- Danny Cooksey as Milo Kamalani
- Clea Lewis as Nicky Little
- Pamela Segall as Moose Pearson
- April Winchell as Lydia Pearson, Abriola Stark
- Don Adams as Principal Hickey
- Paddi Edwards as Vera Groober-Schwartz
- Susan Tolsky as Janie Diggety
- Tino Insana as JoJo Diggety
- Kath Soucie as Cissy Rooney, Mrs. Little
- Jenna von Oÿ as Trinket St. Blair
- Cree Summer as Tessa and Vanessa James
- Jeff Bennett as Pink-Eye Pete, Dieter Lederhosen, Craig Bean
"Ooh, five bucks!"
- When Abraham Lincoln on the penny starts talking to Pepper Ann, the penny's date changes from 1972 to 1997. The date then changes back to 1972 when Lincoln stops talking.
- In the original English version of the episode, the shoppers in the mall groan in disgust after Lydia shouts that Pepper Ann has her first pimple. However, in the Spanish version, the shoppers cheer.
- This episode, and the rest of the first season, clearly shows that the series is set in 1997, the year the series started.